Keep coronavirus info classified, Trump White House told federal health agency

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/11/censoring-coronavirus.html

COVID19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, has killed ~30 people in the U.S. and infected over 1,000

3 Likes

You’re wrong about the subject of the meetings, which were about (a) how Trump personally might profit off it, and (b) how to blame any negative consequences on the Democrats. (Already, Trump is fearing that journalists will spread contagion to him deliberately - and talking about how the Left is spreading the epidemic intentionally to discredit him.)

29 Likes

DC Sneeze Fest 2020

You know where.

10 Likes

Trump is going to propose that federal money must be spent to help support important businesses, specifically Hotels and Golf Courses, during the Coronavirus slump

33 Likes

People of the United States, our “elected” Republican government at work. If we ever get to have elections again, we really need to bring up everything they’ve done for and to us and others in the last four years.

30 Likes

Interestingly, and I hope coincidentally, the Johns Hopkins dashboard stopped updating at 10:30 this morning. Actual numbers have become harder to come by. Damn it, this is not good.

21 Likes

I don’t know if this has been posted in any of the other covid-19 threads, but frightening NY Times article about delays in testing and repercussions:

(from yesterday but updated today)

20 Likes

So the orange clown considers himself and his politics to be more important than public health. Big surprise there.

20 Likes

And his payroll tax deduction proposal doesn’t help when your paycheck is $0 because you’re home sick or your employer closed due to the outbreak.

Executive paychecks? Well, that’s another story.

23 Likes

Public Health Experts: “Lack of information kills in an epidemic…”
White House: “More secrecy!”

So obvious and so horrible, it can’t even be parodied…

24 Likes

What stage are we in right now?

When will Nostradumbass be telling people that are infected that they deserved it?

15 Likes

Whatever it was seems to have been fixed, back to normal updating frequency again.

13 Likes

Already. They didn’t have as strong constitutions as People Like Us.

7 Likes

This a good reminder why we need strong overclassification laws, with penalties. Classification without a restraining force allows for the suppression of information in a way that is extremely hostile to the ideal outcomes of the first amendment. There is a natural push to overclassify to avoid embarassment, in the best of times, but this administration seems fond of using it for political ends. Remember that the whole Ukraine scandal involved a call that was classified. We’ve created a strong mechanism for corruption without building in meaningful safeguards.

16 Likes

I’ve noticed the film “Contagion” is trending on iTunes now.

There are aspects of it that are eerily similar to the coronavirus outbreak, particularly the way private actors like Jim Bakker or Alex Jones use the disease for profit. Ironically the film portrays competent and thoughtful government employees making decisions that end up looking corrupt or suspect, the writers didn’t come up with a plot line where the government was completely incompetent and looking out for themselves above everyone else.

14 Likes

I hear it holds up better than Outbreak but I haven’t watched the latter since it first came out.

5 Likes

I was in a small town in flyover country this weekend where a pediatrician I met and talked to was pretty sure he had already seen 2 cases but was refused testing because they didn’t meet testing guidelines.

12 Likes

if there is any justice in the universe, the entire administration catches this from the top down

younger me is horrified by older me thinking this but if there are some deaths among them too from covid19, I’m okay with that

meanwhile 45% of the country is going to remain convinced it’s all a hoax

oh where are the anti-vax people, they should be thrilled, no vax for this, they can suffer and even die without breaking their vows of idiocrasy

6 Likes

27 Likes

Fucker is still using this as an excuse to demand money for his wall, even though the people who inadvertently carried the virus here all came on airplanes and cruise ships. If anything the virus is probably spreading south from the U.S. to Mexico.

22 Likes