New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo declares coronavirus state of emergency, confirms 76 cases

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/07/ny-gov-andrew-cuomo-declares.html

4 Likes

Hmph. They should be severely limiting visitors everywhere. Today’s cases don’t tell us where COVID-19 is, they tell us where it was over a week ago.

11 Likes

By next weekend trumpkins is going to lose his tiny tiny mind as all the states can now send all their testing directly to Labcorp and Quest starting Monday and the numbers are going to explode.

The problem is the public is also going to freak right the hell out, the cases (and deaths) have always been there, it’s just that the government has been hiding the numbers for the past month (or two) but now there are going to suddenly be thousands

https://newsroom.questdiagnostics.com/2020-03-05-Quest-Diagnostics-to-Launch-Coronavirus-Disease-2019-COVID-19-Test

https://www.labcorp.com/information-labcorp-about-coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19

trump/pence can pressure the labs not to release numbers but they can’t stop democratically run states (states like Florida still refuse to release numbers too, right in trump’s pocket)

8 Likes

He’s bizarrely/characteristically make it competitive between the US and other nations, without comprehending that we’ll never weather this as well as countries where people can get tested and treated without risking bankruptcy. He’s spent his whole life lying about numbers for his own self-interest, but that approach here will be lethal.

14 Likes

Another Democrat saving lives, as trump golfs.

10 Likes

When the Atlantic asked, the FloriDuh department of health told them their current cases/deaths numbers. They know that the local papers would get them anyway and that stonewalling a health treat on TV would be political suicide.

3 Likes

25 Likes

Every instrument has lag. Radar tells you where the aircraft was five seconds ago, etc. Right now a fair assumption is that COVID-19 is everywhere. Viruses are like that.

6 Likes

I’m touching my face right now!

6 Likes

I’m touching your face right now!

11 Likes

Damn, get a room! :grin:

14 Likes

For a long time now, it has seemes to me that no form of democracy can effectively combat climate change, since the public will is always to find someone else to take it in the shorts so we can get our cheap stuff.

Now it seems democracy is equally unsuited to handle this global pandemic, since even in a crisis like this, socialized medicine is not polling well in the US.

Worst case scenario, we will get socialized medicine at gunpoint, when it gets bad enough to declare martial law.

2 Likes

The reason the US doesn’t have universal healthcare media in the US has been taken over by corporate interests. None of them have a strong position. They have retreated into pretending that they are neutral observers.

My opinion is that this is because If the public started examining why our healthcare system costs so much, that could lead to the public deciding that the problem isn’t limited to just healthcare. That maybe corporate power as gotten too big.

8 Likes

How touching!

4 Likes

The problem is not democracy, but the lack of it. There is a majority of the public that supports “Medicare for all”:

8 Likes

The only reason they don’t have these numbers for other states is because they haven’t done the testing. That won’t last long. Already more than half the states suddenly realized they have cases, now that a handful of testing kits have trickled out.

Yeah, he cares so much about the dumb numbers that he won’t let the cruise liner passengers off the ship for fear they’ll increase the infected counts (news flash: they’re in US waters, so they already count), this is going to make him go into full reality-denial mode. Which risks the opposite of the public freaking out - he’ll convince his followers the virus isn’t dangerous at all. They’ll deny all evidence to the contrary until they start dropping dead.

As pointed out, it does poll well (it depends how it’s framed), but a crisis like this provides a good opportunity to explain how it would benefit everyone and advocate for it.

4 Likes

WRT the Trumpistas:

Don’t be so sure about even then.

2 Likes

Well, I’m touching myself right now, Guess where.

2 Likes

Yeah, some of these people are going to drop dead before they acknowledge COVID-19 is a threat, though some will finally acknowledge it when they’re in a hospital, when friends and family members start dropping. But they’ll probably insist it’s a “deep state” plot or some shit. (Apparently in China, they’re increasingly convinced it’s a US bioweapon, just as the right-wing loons in the US think it’s a Chinese bioweapon…)

5 Likes

More importantly, where is Carmen Sandiego touching herself?

6 Likes