Trump's chief Goldman-Sachs goblin tells America they can buy a new car for $1000

True, but that POS car will provide housing when you lose your home due to Trump’s tax plan.

13 Likes

My vote goes to the first two, plus a long time being in a position where nobody tells you that, “What you just said is ridiculous, boss”.

10 Likes

He’s obviously confusing real life for an old SNL skit: http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/adobe/n9492?snl=1

2 Likes

dick

4 Likes

14 Likes

Allegedly, Julius Caesar was smart enough to have a guy on his squad who’s main job was to keep it real with him no matter how much everyone else was a sycophant; walking behind him, constantly whispering in his ear, “Memento homo,” = “You are mortal. You are just a man.”

12 Likes

There is a book about Wall Street which is old but good and everybody should read it - “Where are all the customers’ yachts?” by Fred Schwed jr.
In it you will find, among other things, the explanation of how senior bankers manage to be so completely out of touch.

More or less. In the Republic, when a general had a triumph, a slave rode in his chariot reciting “remember you are mortal.” But this was because during the triumph, the general was dressed as Juppiter or Mars and it would be blasphemous for him to identify himself with the god.
Under the Empire the emperors were semi-divine anyway and often became fully divine when they died. You could say that the US has reached that point of inflection in which it has gone from being a Republic with a President to being an empire with an elected emperor - or at least that’s how Trump seems to see himself. Nero, Caligula or Domitian? History will decide.

8 Likes

As someone who makes well over $100,000 a year, I can confirm this is pretty much how we think of another $1,000 - already saving what I need, already happy with what I’ve got, so if you hand me free money, I will just go upgrade my desk chair or start planning a weekender to Miami.

Anybody handing me tax refunds at this point is a financially irresponsible weasel.

18 Likes

As opposed to the leaders of today that need someone whispering in their ear, “no homo”.

1 Like

Speaking of aristocracies and new cars, I still cannot get over the Cadillac ad from a couple years ago that essentially reads as “be the first against the wall when the revolution comes”.

11 Likes

Nah, not just trump, that’s how The People see it as well. The executive branch has been overstepping its authority (and congress abdicating it) for a long time, and yet people seem totally ok with it, and have come to expect that it’s the president’s job to fix every damn thing.

3 Likes

Thousand Dollar Car

4 Likes

Your problem is to you it’s just money, you don’t have enough to buy the Kool-Aid that money is simply a chip in the greater game of power and influence. That’s why someone with more than enough to live fabulously like these G-S horrors still wants more, even if those millions come out of the pockets of the bottom of society.

2 Likes

I remember being weirded the fuck out by that commercial.

Like, being a slave owner is supposed to be a good thing now? Something to be desired?

9 Likes

No one posted this yet, right?

4 Likes

“Yes, African-Americans, you too can join the fine tradition of being out-of-touch aristocrats and owning other human beings”*

[* Psych! Not really. We just cast some black actors so that we look all diverse and stuff…]

13 Likes

The majority of people seem to have trouble relating to the idea of pluralistic government. They still want a god-figure. And, let’s face it, that suits many people who can use it to - don’t look at the man behind the curtain!

2 Likes

Or saves $2.74 a day. Meanwhile tDrumfp will save $342,465.75 a day.

4 Likes

The reality is the middle tax gets a tax increase. They may talk up that your federal tax bill is lower but what they leave out is that your state and local tax deduction is gone. In blue States like New York or California, that could mean a tax increase of several thousand dollars a year.

6 Likes

“If we allow a family to keep another thousand dollars of their income, what does that mean?” he asked. “They can renovate their kitchen. They can buy a new car. They can take a family vacation. They can increase their lifestyle.”

Kitchen renovation: $350
New car (nice one): $325
Family vacation (grand tour of Europe): $275
Increase lifestyle: $35

And I still have $15 left to open a new restaurant in Manhattan

20 Likes