Trump's new social media platform hacked within hours of its reveal

Originally published at: Trump's new social media platform hacked within hours of its reveal | Boing Boing

12 Likes

Trump jumping the shark was so long ago.

TrumpTheShark

15 Likes

It’s humiliating enough he spent all those years using the handle “@therealdonaldtrump” because someone beat him to the punch on Twitter but not even getting your own name on the platform you had commissioned as a personal vanity project is some incredible buffoonery.

51 Likes

Were they using that “space-age stuff” security the pillow lunatic touted for his failed site?

I do wish the hackers had given the site time to open and a couple of weeks for people to sign up. Then the no-doubt unencrypted database could have been grabbed, complete with all the real names and extensive personal data the grifter-in-chief would have requested (including Social Security and credit card numbers). Using the geolocation info one might then build a handy Find-a-Fascist site, or with the social graph perhaps construct a new version of FoaF called “Friend of a Fascist”.

29 Likes

Disappointed they went with the name “truth” instead of “pravda.”

25 Likes

Also, sounds like it wasn’t “hacked.” Sounds like it was “found,” wasn’t in “maintenance mode” and someone “created an account.”

32 Likes

HA HA HA HA HA!

c3361546f27245850f759bb6ffe3b5dc

26 Likes

31 Likes

Trump’s social network is just a modified Mastodon install , and they’re violating the license by claiming it is “proprietary”.

42 Likes

They’re using the wrong image for Trumpworld.

12 Likes

Blockquote

Ah Mike Lindell. God’s answer to the question “what if cocaine could walk like a man”?

Also, point of order, but the Space Age was in the 1960s. That hasn’t been the definition of “modern” or “futuristic” in a long god-damned time. Of course, if you read that Business Insider link, he talks about how his soon-to-be failed social media platform is, somehow, “for print, radio, and TV” - three dying mediums.

22 Likes

It’s a Mastodon instance with all the identifying marks removed. Which means it’s violating Mastodon’s license. I wonder how promptly their host will respond to a DMCA takedown.

It’s not even a Gab instance (Gab moved to a fork of Mastodon a while back). It’s just a straight-up Masto.

Also I find it hilarious that it’s on truthsocial.com instead of truth.social, I really hope the owner of truth.social is someone who will enjoy perpetrating Shenanigans upon anyone who types that in by accident.

35 Likes

That’s what made it so hilarious. At the time people were asking whether the site was coded in FORTRAN or COBOL.

Despite this, I sort of hope Mastadon lets them keep it up as a kind of honeypot. Its existence as a pariah node (similar to Gab’s instance) would provide a useful clearinghouse list of users who could be banned from other nodes in the Fediverse.

20 Likes

Did they turn off federation?

eta: Sure, no existing sites would federate, but create sites just to federate with them…

10 Likes
41 Likes

All I heard was “Trump Facebook for Patriots Who Can’t Read Good and Want To Learn Other Q Stuff Too.”

23 Likes

Given that they didn’t cover their tracks with their “proprietary” system by removing the default Mastadon images and messages and given that they didn’t have the instance in maintenance mode pre-launch, my guess would be that they just left it on.

Biff only hires the best, really the classiest tech-bros, believe me (i.e. the ones still too stupid to know that he stiffs all his contractors as a matter of course).

@Akimbo_NOT, here’s the bio of the SPAC’s CEO:

For someone funding this patriotic all-American site he certainly does a lot of business in that “Chai-nah” place Biff says is destroying our country.

Yunhong International, formerly China Yunhong Holdings Ltd, is a blank check company. The Company is formed for the purpose of effecting a merger, share exchange, asset acquisition, stock purchase, reorganization or similar business combination with one or more businesses. The Company intends to focus on businesses that have their primary operations located in China and East Asia. It has not conducted any operations.

24 Likes

44 Likes

I smell rats. Lots of rats.

23 Likes

Happy Cracking Up GIF by Regal

32 Likes