Trump's new social media platform hacked within hours of its reveal

I mean, of course they just ripped off something that already existed, while violating its license. It’s not like they were going to make something themselves (nor be within the law), given who’s involved.

12 Likes

Looks to me like this was the intended goal. Instead of spending a lot of money to maybe do it right, just launch a turd for almost free then blame everyone else, claim under attack, etc etc. Wheel goes round and round…

10 Likes

Well yeah. So far, we have a site started by and named after America’s foremost public con artist since 1980, funded through a SPAC run by shady businessman operating from Wuhan, running “proprietary” software that’s actually ripped-off FOSS, with security configured so poorly that it only took a few hours for the instance to be compromised. I’m sure that’s not the end of it, either.

25 Likes

Does Trump or any of his people know how much a media site called “Truth” resonates with Soviet Russia? Правда/Pravda/“Truth” was, for a century, the official newspaper of the Communist Party of the USSR.

This goes back to his “Enemy of the People” epithet also.

The irony slash blithe historical ignorance is off the charts. To his sheeple fans it won’t matter of course. But the self-own here is staggering. Even GETTR would have been better.

15 Likes

Doing security right is hard, especially for a new site that is under so much scrutiny. This doesn’t change the fact that it is f-ing hilarious they got pwned.

16 Likes

Odds are, they didn’t get anyone who understands the Mastodon code, just people going through the motions of making it look like it should work. Cargo cult development.

Now, it’s okay to do that while learning how it does work, but only if you keep it completely off the visible Internet.

19 Likes

Has anyone grabbed trumpsocial.com or trump.social to host their group that plays card games that use the concept of a trump card like contract bridge or spades?

9 Likes

Yes, and doing security wrong is easy.

11 Likes

I know, Right! I can see the orange d-bag running around with toilet paper stuck to his shoe screaming at his underlings that the Libs are behind this. Boo fucking hoo Donny.

13 Likes

I think with all the other bodies falling toward it, it’s obviously a nascent singularity.

3 Likes

The only reliable programming languages!

Yeah, it speaks to a certain mindset that’s stuck in the 60s and 70s. “Our technology’s so good that it’s like something out of the moon landings! We’ll be so successful we’ll be on television and the radio!” It’s impressive talk to someone that didn’t grow up with the internet. Hell, maybe we’ll see future Qonservatives smoking Chesterfields, driving old Ford Falcons and dressing like someone out of Mad Men.

6 Likes

Maybe they’re old arcade game fans?

5 Likes

I have no recollection of ever seeing that game!

2 Likes
7 Likes
3 Likes

I feel like this definition of “hacking” is only marginally stricter than the State of Mississippi’s.

WaPo has more info on Trump’s broader … “ambitions” is probably the wrong word, but it’ll do in a pinch.

There’s a lot of gems in the article, like:

Truth Social’s listing on the App Store includes mostly inoffensive examples of posts that users might share, such as, “What’s your favorite place to go in the world? You won’t believe how beautiful Jamaica is.”

But it also includes logos for companies and, in one image, an entire fake post by the carmaker Chevrolet, which declared it was “going electric.” A spokeswoman for General Motors, which owns Chevrolet, told The Post on Thursday morning that the company has “no affiliation with this platform.”

and

In the Truth Social announcement, Trump’s team said the site would be owned by Trump Media & Technology Group, a vaguely defined company headquartered at Mar-a-Lago, Trump’s club in Palm Beach.

The Trump company said it was merging with Digital World Acquisition Corp., one of many so-called “blank-check” companies used for financial maneuvering, and would be publicly listed for trading. The statement valued the company at $875 million, though it was unclear how that number was reached.

The company said it intended to launch a video streaming service that would include news, entertainment, documentaries and sports, saying, “The American public is seeking ‘non-woke’ entertainment, and TMTG+ will provide content for all to enjoy.”

The company said it would compete with Netflix, Hulu and Disney+ but gave no information as to how. The slide, however, did include an old photo of Trump giving a big trophy to a sumo wrestler.

10 Likes

Which is why it is the purview of old people trying to sound “modern.” Kind of like Biden’s attempt to sound “hep” during the debates by ending sentences with “man.”

2 Likes

A considerable proportion of his support is from people that want to go back to a 1950s that never was.

6 Likes

:100:

ETA: oops, ninja’d by @egypturnash ! in keeping with the norms of this bbs, I owe you…

6 Likes

According to the man(?) himself, his youngest kid does ‘the cyber’.

3 Likes