Trump's star witness has a computer crime record

Here’s an article explaining the charges against Ms. Carone that presents the information without delving so deep into misogynist garbage:

Definitely a piece of work.

ETA: Also clearly not someone we should take seriously on issues of computer security considering she wasn’t even competent enough to hide her own IP address when committing her crimes. Bruce Schneier she ain’t.

14 Likes

This.

If their past crimes are not really relevant to the case, it may just the attorney look like an asshole and the witness more sympathetic as a result to bring these things up. This is why witness impeachment is a risky tactic.

In this particular case she already did a great job ruining her credibility with her belligerence and attitude. An attorney pilling on with a “so let’s talk about your past” would have just looked like a bully.

6 Likes

Right, but again, the only relevant deatil here is his payoff. Focussing on her profession devalues her as a person.

Um…I’ve never heard of an associates degree being available from UM, a 4-year university. You could get an associates in something IT-ish at Washtenaw Community College, though. Did she think “pretty much the same town, what’s the diff”?

9 Likes

Article I linked to above says

She received an information technology certificate from ITT Technological Institute in 2015

Apparently not worth much considering how badly she flubbed trying to cover her tracks with the online harassment.

12 Likes

Here’s the education portion of her LinkedIn CV from the article posted earlier:

Whatever’s going on, she clearly has a very flexible relationship with the truth. Of course that makes her exactly the kind of witness you’d expect Giuliani and Team Biff to dig up.

14 Likes

Totally community college type credentials. There is an ITT in Dearborn, that may be the only thing she isn’t lying about.

9 Likes

Yeah, community college is often the next step for ITT graduates, after they realize they totally wasted their money.

10 Likes

You beat me to it; ITT was a well known ‘scam school’ growing up in Ohio.

Better idea to save your money and just go to an accredited JC or 4 year institution.

11 Likes

Hey now—I teach at one of those. Don’t lump us in with ITT!

11 Likes

@Brainspore

I stepped into an ITT office once, at the end of my rope during the hiring freeze of 2008. It felt like a strong-arm army recruitment center who just wanted my school loan money.

10 Likes

Still a step up from Trump University I suppose.

12 Likes

Nothing wrong with associates degrees or CC! It’s a real money saver for a lot of families for kids to do their first 2 years at CC, then get the last 2 years and the bachelors degree from the much pricier 4-year institution. Since both WCC and UM are mere bus rides away from our house, I would take zero umbrage at Jr. Kidd going about post-secondary this way!

That said, there shouldn’t be a single HR person in the whole of metro Detroit who wouldn’t spot these lies.

13 Likes

Low bar is fucking LOW.

14 Likes

1 Like

Ok, but consider an alternate world in which Daniels was a teacher, or a lawyer, or a CEO. Do you still think that every mention of his infidelity and violations of campaign finance law would still lead with Daniels’ profession?

2 Likes

The details of the past crime really are relevant to her testimony, though. I mean, she:

1. Fabricated false evidence;
  2. Lied about it in police reports;
  3. Was so unfamiliar with IT as to get caught in all of the above because she failed to obscure her IP address.

We’re not talking about an old DUI here.

15 Likes

Relevant, sure. Necessary? Probably not. Like I said before she did a perfectly good job impeaching her credibility just by opening her mouth. I can’t imagine anybody on that panel taking her testimony seriously.

6 Likes

Don’t underestimate the perfidity of Michigan Republicans.

5 Likes

because it happens all the time, doesn’t mean it is correct or moral.