TSA says it will sue woman who tried to bring apple butter on plane

There are different consistencies of apple butter. Some is like applesauce, some is like jam, some is a paste. Not that they’d be able to tell without opening the jar and sticking a finger in… but I don’t imagine the TSA would be averse to that.

1 Like

I suspect that by now @Shaddack has already worked out how to build a sandwich bomb.
Though if you really wanted to do damage, botulin toxin in the airline food would be even more effective.

1 Like

Excessive broadness. Unclear and ambiguous laws enrich lawyers but they do not contribute to the public good.
For instance, English law distinguishes between car theft and taking without consent (a lesser offence) which deals with the case where the kid “borrows” the car without asking. If you try to write a blanket law (“taking something away from someone that belongs to them is theft”) you will find many hard cases - like someone taking away a bottle of drink from a drunk.

3 Likes

Allahu AkButter!

7 Likes

I don’t know where you get the idea that their job is unconstitutional. In any case, I can’t think of a single instance where being uncooperative has resulted in an agency having hiring difficulties, let alone going away. Having to deal with random assholes is part of dealing with the public. It isn’t going to make the whole TSA cry and go home.

1 Like

It’s true that individuals making TSA agents’ jobs shit probably won’t make a difference, but overwhelming public sentiment has definitely changed minds in congress before.

It’s also an unconstitutional to search everyone at the airport because the 4th amendment is a thing. The search isn’t reasonable, because the TSA hasn’t even once stopped a disaster, so there’s no reasonable expectation that the search is worth a bag of dogshit. Also they unreasonably seize 3.01oz bottles of stuff that is clearly not liquid binary explosive. Also, government agents will definitely violate your first amendment rights if you complain about it in line, by punishing you using their “official capacity” to arbitrarily strip search you, and detain you. So, there’s at least two constitutional violations.

3 Likes
5 Likes

“I vas just following orders.”

Thank you. Note that this doesn’t mean that you’ve lost the argument, that was just a later addition to Godwin’s Law. The original:

“As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.”

Actually, I think I will propose a variant of Godwin’s Law:

As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of someone using a faulty argument that is most obviously refuted by a reference to Nazis or Hitler approaches 1.

1 Like

"In spite of the headlines about NSA secrets leaked by former NSA
contractor Edward Snowden, the NSA seems to find no shortage of people
wanting to work there. RAND says NSA, “the country’s largest and leading
employer of cybersecurity professionals,” is doing well in hiring, with
fewer than 1% of their positions going vacant for any length of time. "

“While there’s a notion that a dearth of cybersecurity professionals the
shortage is most acute at the “high end” where $250,000 salaries are not
uncommon for those who combine technical and managerial skills.”

“The U.S. federal government, especially the Department of Defense (DoD),
has sometimes found it hard to compete with the private sector to hire
those cybersecurity professionals. That’s not only because DoD salaries
are not only often lower than the private sector, but it’s hard to
flexibly change government salaries because of bureaucratic rules.”

You may very well think that but the Supreme Court has decided that the fourth amendment is not a thing at the airport. And like it or not, the Supremes say what the fourth amendment means. Not you.

Overwhelming VOTER sentiment can certainly concentrate the Congressional mind. Unfortunately, there is no evidence of it being brought to bear. People may not like TSA but they don’t dislike it enough to include it in their voting decisions.

And, frankly, the people who dislike it the most are those least likely to show up in congressional election years.

Uh, you do realize RAND Corp is a government-funded think-tank, right? Their primary function is determining how best to form and implement government policy. I really don’t think you can take anything they say about the NSA at face value.

2 Likes

Serious question: if you freeze the apple butter so it’s a solid at the point you enter the TSA line, does it get through then?

1 Like

Depends on the screener.

RAND is going to lie to the government about how best to implement policy? Doesn’t seem like they’d be paid very much longer if that is the case. To give useful advice, they have to rely on valid statistics.

In any case, ad hominem arguments are not evidence. If you have evidence that the statistics are invalid, by all means bring them in.

See, this is what I love about our security apparatus. The guidelines say Yes.

But I guarantee you the reality is closer to @songkran 's comment.

In theory, yes. Probably less likely in the UK, though:

Explosion of taste!

…maybe soak the bread with something that releases a gaseous irritant or toxin when wetted with the onboard-served coffee? A binary composition with one component on each slice? Though trumping the toxic/irritant properties of said coffee is likely to prove rather challenging…

Airline food. The original air terrorism.

But the luggage handling is worse. Trump the baggabe claim belt waiting anxiety, al-Qaida, I challenge you!

4 Likes

Applesauce is any argument Scalia disagrees with but can’t find a reason that he actually wants people to know.

More pedantry a puree is a smooth, creamy substance made of liquidized or crushed fruit or vegetables. If it’s considered creamy then it would still count as a gel.

I’ve never had apple butter so I don’t know the consistency of it, but I agree if it was a solid then it should’ve gone. I still have a slight problem with your post though:

1. It would have to be for medical purposes and the mother would have to be with her.
  2. Cream cheese is a soft cheese which counts as a gel.
  3. Not all airports have the sniffer machines and I think they may no longer be in use.
  4. TSA agents are not allowed to taste test anything if they do they lose their jobs.

By using a little known rule she could’ve kept it if she had no other liquids, gels or aerosols and if it fits in a quart size bag.