TSA's full-body scanners in airports lead to more overall deaths, lawsuit claims

That (sort of number) is correct as far as it goes. You get to choose to use miles per gallon instead of gallons per minute however :wink: . Not that that’s wrong to do so. :+1:

I don’t have the back-of-the-envelope calc I did once upon a time, but I did annoy my mum by showing that the energy savings (or carbon footprint) earned by changing all the lightbulbs in the house to ‘eco’ bulbs for the rest of our lifetime was negated by taking a single 3-hour flight.
And that wasn’t even factoring the manufacturing and disposal costs of same, as I couldn’t find good stats on those.

[asbestos class=“joking not-joking”]
If anyone wanted to do our grandkids a favour, they should just arbitrarily execute anyone their magic box selects for secondary screening. Less people, especially the large-carbon-footprint-types, is the only thing that can save the planet.
[/asbestos]

1 Like

I suppose the same assumption could be used to argue for better funded public transport - assuming that fatalities on public transport are less common. By failing to make public transport more accessible, various jurisdictions are forcing people to drive.

3 Likes

Well, this is the issue, it’s a public policy argument. These scanners are bad, funding public transit it good. But the government doesn’t make decisions based on the best available science, they make them based on numerous factors. I think taking the government to court because they policy is bad just doesn’t work. Either vote for someone different next time or start a revolution.

This is an issue of opportunity cost. If the plane wasn’t there or cost a lot more, fewer people would fly. The question is whether the reduction in flying is negated by the increase in car journeys.
If the flying was replaced by bus journeys there might be a net fuel benefit - a bus can easily achieve 400 passenger miles/gallon. But that’s because a bus is slow compared to a plane.

But only people who have passed reproductive age. Otherwise there won’t be any grandkids to do favours for.

You’d have fewer passengers, because traveling by bus SUCKS OH SO MUCH, but whether that would result in fewer trips or only fewer passengers per trip would need to be seen.

I’ll stay home thanks ver much. I flew for the first time since having kids just a month ago, 5 hours to Edmonton… both the flight and destination hardened my resolve nicely. Unless entirely necessary I will not fly again for many years. I made it 6 years or so, time to try for 12, then 24, and then I’ll be ded. problem solved.

One thing is certain, I would Never have gone if it meant 2 days on a bus to Edmonton

1 Like

My guess is that in most American cities where the population is dense enough that public transport can get you there as fast as driving, public transport is already there.

Well you’re half right. I don’t care about the “omg they’ll see my bits” aspect of it. I’ve been tempted to wear a unitard and no underwear under my dress and just whip the dress off to get through security.

It’s the fact that I have to stand there like I’m surrendering or being arrested that bothers me. But like 99.9999% of people, I just need to catch my damn plane so that I don’t have to pay money to book a new flight when I miss it.

1 Like

Are you really suggesting that because the President of the U.S. requires extreme security measures and thus flies in a special plane, he should be killed for the long term safety of the environment? Not cool, man.

Nope. Only a few cities in the U.S. have sufficient public transportation to be useful for more than a small percentage of the population, because almost all have been built up since the invention of the car, and were in fact built/expanded/renovated based on car usage.

2 Likes

You have to agree that the measures are really extreme. Obama was last week in Hanover. The German police informed the residents on the route between the hotel and venue that they should not look out of the windows “to avoid irritation of the security personnel and a search of the home”. Home of the free, my ass.

2 Likes

No argument from me!

Although I will point out that the death threats against this particular president have been off-the-charts insane, so I think security has become extremely sensitive.

1 Like

Source? Just curious, as I haven’t really heard of any.

Wait, that was in Germany, right? Sounds about right…

1 Like

It is slightly unfair to poor people but one of the many benefits of <$20 a year GlobalEntry/TSA pre is that you don’t have to use the machines at all. If you travel by air at all it is totally worth it… Although I understand how some may be conscientious objectors and decide to forgo the easy path.

Not sure about the direction of your comment. Do you mean that it’s SOP for German security forces to search homes because someone looks out of the window?

No, but maybe he could use a smaller plane.

Add in the fact that in most suburban places zoning precludes building the kind of density that naturally happens around effective public transport hubs.

1 Like

Well 1) Germany isn’t known as the “land of the free”. That is from the American National Anthem.

1. I don’t know what SOP is today, I assume it is not, but given the history with the Gestapo and Stasi, then yeah, it isn’t too hard to see that happening again.

Once a nazi, always a nazi, I see. Sippenhaft is another thing we excel in!

You’ll probably not believe me, but the aforementioned “irritated security personnel” was the secret service, not the German police. Only two heads of state cause such a panic mode: The pope and US presidents.

1 Like