Tumblr users have created an elaborate mythology around a fake Scorsese film

Originally published at: Tumblr users have created an elaborate mythology around a fake Scorsese film | Boing Boing

6 Likes

I loved Cybill Shepherd in Goncharov before it was cool.

Wait, that’s her in At Long Last Love, which was never cool. Everyone involved probably wishes that film was imaginary too.

6 Likes

The book was better.

13 Likes

Funny stuff, but that’s a Star Trek parody poster of the real poster of the fake movie.

9 Likes

Love me some Cybill. Check out Daisy Miller if you haven’t seen it.

2 Likes

I gotta say that “Goncharov” is one of those rare films where the sequel, “Goncharov II”, is so much better than the original. The cast had really settled in to their roles, and the larger budget made it possible for returning director, Scorsese, to fulfil his vision with a cast of thousands in the famous, “Pedamentina stairs” scene.

Flipping the focus of the plot to Katya also allowed for a deeper investigation of Goncharov’s toxic personality. The classic, “Why don’t you renounce violence?” scene, with Goncharov falling to his knees in defeat, and howling, “I KHAAAAAAAAAN’T”, is a high point for Captain Kirk’s career as an actor.

11 Likes

Lynda Carter has joined the fun, with “real” photos of her at the premiere.

11 Likes

I really enjoyed her TV show. Christine Baranski was great, as usual, as Maryann Thorpe.

5 Likes

Supposedly an entry for the film has been created and deleted on Wikipedia multiple times now.

gonch

7 Likes

Well, of course; this is Tumblr we are talking about…

Also, People need to stop flooding Neil Gaiman’s tumblr ask with questions about it; He’s a bit busy with other things.

4 Likes

He does seem annoyed…

6 Likes

If Tumblr does add ActiviyPub to connect to the Fediverse like Mastodon, the culture clash will be something to see, from a distance.

3 Likes

[ETA: the joke will be complete when Scorsese actually comments on it. “Currently I’m working on getting this lost classic re-released, Bob, Harvey and I are doing commentary for the DVD box set…”]

7 Likes

It’s a very interesting, and impressive, process of collective improvised storytelling. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The circle won’t be complete until someone claims to own the IP and fires DMCA takedowns.

7 Likes

Danielewski or somebody ought to take this opportunity to promote House of Leaves.

https://imgur.com/t/2006/ho1AkHS

Somehow I have gone this long without learning of TMDB?

(I’m guessing TMDB isn’t a new website cooked up for this bit that everyone is pretending existed all along. Though that would be kind of neat.)

4 Likes

I remember one of the authors (Harry Medved?) of “The 50 Worst Films of All Time” on the Merv Griffin show back in 1978 or 9. Burt Reynolds was also a guest. Reynolds lit into the guy for making fun of bad movies. “At Long Last Love,” starring Reynolds happened to be in the book as one of the 50. It was an awkward episode.

3 Likes

I don’t know if it was part of the promotional circuit for Goncharov; but does anyone else remember that fight on the Johnny Carson Show. It wasn’t clear who kicked it off, as both actors seemed antagonistic from the moment they walked out on to the set. DeNiro had the weight and the reach, but Keitel was like a whirlwind and packed a mean elbow. Of course, they still worked together on “Mean Streets” the same year; so maybe this was just them setting up an angle for the audience.

2 Likes

I can scarcely think of a better recommendation than to be panned by those Medved assholes.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.