"Turkey" is now officially Türkiye within the US State Department, as it is most everywhere else in the world

Originally published at: "Turkey" is now officially Türkiye within the US State Department, as it is most everywhere else in the world | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Wait’ll they get a load of my Türducken next Thanksgiving!

7 Likes

Not for me. I’m officially referring to the place as Chicken from now on.

2 Likes

let the umlaut get its nöse in the tent and before long it’s “on beyond zebra” e.g. აფხაზეთი
(“Bring back the thorn! or rather ‘þorn’”)

8 Likes

I already knew it was Türkiye from collecting stamps!

5 Likes

magyar posta,
nippon
Maluku Selatan

philately recapitulates geography

13 Likes

I’m sure the Turkeys are very pleased to have even less of an association with Erdongan’s murderous government.

15 Likes

Helvetia
Deutschland
Sverige

Yeah, all kinds of cool places! Places that have different names now!

7 Likes

I have no objection to spelling it correctly. The real issue is how do I find the key combination on my keyboards for that (same issue with French words, German words, …).

Does any of you know how to get Windows to put the tilde over the n in Spanish? That’s one I encounter most often.

4 Likes

The most complete way I can think of would be to add a different keyboard language. You can use the language selector in the system tray (IIRC) or hotkeys to change between languages, and use the on-screen keyboard to input the language-specific characters you need.

If you don’t need it that often, use the character map (charmap) application or some other unicode character selector (first google hit)

3 Likes

The boingboing headline is interesting.

Boingboing:

“Turkey” is now officially Türkiye within the US State Department, as it is most everywhere else in the world

It;s source:

"Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has pushed for the change from the anglicized spelling, which has been largely used by the rest of the world since Türkiye "

The two seem to have different connotations.

As I understand it, “Turkey” was the standard orthography in English, probably because it’s difficult to type umlauts on an english keyboard, and for various reasons, Erdogen wanted to change the convention. It wasn’t the US State Department steadfastly adhering to a long obsolete standard. The real question is how to accurately pronounce the name, and whether the spelling accurately transmits this information.

1 Like

Napoli
Firenze
München

Those were the days, when we could just call foreign places anything we liked. They’re only foreigners after all, and a long way away. Anyway, they do it to us:

Angleterre
Londres
Estados Unidos

7 Likes

I mean, I am just going to go dumb American mode and leave off the accent unless I happen to copy paste it. I think on my phone you can hold down a key to get an options for accented versions, but I don’t use my phone for typing that much.

One of my favorite new bands right now is Shaârghot from France. But I will type it as Shaarghot. Sorry. :confused:

1 Like

Despite the change in spelling, is it pronounced differently? Is it still tûr′kē

2 Likes

Hold alt and hit 0226 on the keypad if you’re on Windows (another thing you can get from charmap - the alt keystrokes for frequently-used accented characters)

3 Likes

tuer ki ye

(jk) the wikipedia article has a voice recording

1 Like

I’m not sure what “most everywhere else in the world” means in this context. In Italian it was, is, and will be called “Turchia”, in French “Turquie”, in German “Türkei”, in Spanish “Turquía”, not to mention (due to my ignorance), how it’s called in Chinese, Arabic, Hebrew, Japanese, Ukrainian, Swahili, Portuguese and a few other languages amounting to some billion people, where I’m sure it’s even farther from either “Turkey” (or anything poultry-related) and “Türkiye”.

3 Likes

Your title says one thing, your UPI quote says the opposite. “the anglicized spelling, which has been largely used by the rest of the world”

Is it just bad writing, or is one dead wrong?

is kiye one syllable or two?

I don’t know the best way to do it in Windows in general, but Word has an actually cool feature where you can do Ctrl+(punctuation mark that looks kind of like an accent) letter to put an accent on, as well as other modifications like that.

Ctrl+~ n → ñ
Ctrl+: u → ü
Ctrl+, c → ç
Ctrl+/ o → ø
Ctrl+& s → ß

It is definitely my favorite thing about the program.

8 Likes