Turn a Kobo e-reader into an e-ink typewriter

Originally published at: Turn a Kobo e-reader into an e-ink typewriter | Boing Boing

4 Likes

That might be enough to convince me to finally buy a Kobo. I’d been considering it, but didn’t have anything pressing to use it for that I didn’t already use my Kindle for (other than to avoid being stuck in the Amazon silo).

1 Like

I bought a Kobo years ago because they have a deal that splits revenue with my local bookstore when I buy an e-book. I used to use it quite a bit, but haven’t now for a couple of years. I also don’t live in that town with the bookstore anymore. All the indie bookstores are already gone here.

I already have an AlphaSmart Neo I bought new and use off and on. I mostly do any serious writing in 4thewords.com now, because why wouldn’t you?

Which is all to say. Hmmm, this still looks like a fun thing to do.

3 Likes

It was definitely the avoiding Amazon for me and then the bookstore revenue sharing that @MildBill mentioned. If you have a library near you that uses overdrive or Libby, the integration for borrowing ebooks is also very slick on kobo. It syncs really nicely for that purpose in a way that Kindle didn’t always. At least that’s been my experience. The build quality is nice, and they have a good blend of features between the low-end kindle and the mid-range kindle in their base model.

All in all I find it compelling.

4 Likes

Awesome, thanks for the plus up on the recommendation, appreciate it.

1 Like

That’s technically a cyberdeck.

2 Likes

has anyone made pants where the keyboard is split in two (a-la ergo keyboards) and attached to the cargo pocket area?

ETA: ok, well…

1 Like

Clearly needs this

1 Like

A link to buy a Kobo on Amazon? That’s taking the piss surely?

3 Likes

this part’s pretty cool

Note that the installed software should let you use switch between your normal kobo stock software and the KoboWriter one; so your kobo is still usable in its default way.

im on my second kobo now. so far i’ve managed not to fall asleep reading and crack the screen by rolling over on it… basically, i just need to read less boring books and it’ll probably last forever

1 Like

must. not. buy…

american dad! eating GIF

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.