Twitter account shares screenshots of games that don't exist

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/01/14/twitter-account-shares-screenshots-of-games-that-dont-exist.html

1 Like

8 Likes

Great. Do they have an account elsewhere, like tumbler or something? Maybe Instagram?

11 Likes

Any images from Polybius?

5 Likes

Angry Birds: Beyond Thunderdome?

2 Likes

Right? I’m not making a new Twitter account after I deleted my old one. I don’t care how interesting it is.

5 Likes

Didn’t you see the article? They only have games that don’t exist :smirk_cat:

3 Likes

You posted the picture! We’re all doomed now!

2 Likes

Amen, I wish they would stop promoting twitter. I don’t give a shit about some random interesting account that hasn’t left. At this point they’re in a Nazi bar, and I don’t care if Bob at the end of the bar is pretty cool, he’s in the Nazi bar and the Nazis are fully in control.

13 Likes

I love this, but I also laugh at how incredibly superfluous it is to deliberately create images of hypothetical games that won’t be made. The world is already full of games that “don’t exist,” in that in the industry, games routinely get canceled (even after they’re finished), and there’s all sorts of concept art, prototyping and vertical slices that either don’t go anywhere or end up radically changing direction and turning into something else entirely.

Game dev Twitter is one of the few segments of Twitter that is still active (it hasn’t found a home anywhere else yet), and most of it consists of hobby projects and commercial games that will be abandoned, concept art that exists for its own sake, demonstrations of mechanics and UIs (that may or may not be used, but almost certainly not in the current form), jokes/provocations/discussions manifesting as fake game screens, etc.

And that’s before we get into e.g. the horror games that “recreate” or emulate games from the past that never existed, or media that makes references to these fictional games. That’s a whole thing.

@euansmith And that’s a game that still might come out, unlike say Blizzard North’s Diablo 2, (the original) Prey 2, Warcraft Adventures, the original version of Borderlands, or Half-Life 3

Where you also can’t view anything without an account… I’m using all third-party sites to access social media these days.

I never got rid of my Twitter account, but still prefer to use something like “nitter.net” to view accounts and deprive Elno of views and ad revenue. And, given how terrible Twitter is these days, it actually works better anyways.

5 Likes

That URL didn’t resolve for me. Just as well, if I had noticed it went to Xhitter I wouldn’t have clicked on it. If 'elno stopped parroting RWNJ memes and hate speech it would be a good thing. Oh and drop the antisemitic sh!t too. pls. thank you!

3 Likes

Are we sure the games don’t exist? What if they brought in the Atari E.T. game excavators? :crazy_face:

5 Likes

I don’t even know you; why do you have to hurt me so?

2 Likes

Add my voice to the chorus of people here asking: Why is BB linking to anything on Twitter?

3 Likes

@euansmith’s humor is beyond good and evil

2 Likes
2 Likes

Doesn’t bother me. Guess I’m just jaded to that sense of humor.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.