Twitter to cut hundreds of jobs

Well, unlike you (I suspect) I work in tech, have for decades, work at startups, and know people who work at Twitter. Do you? I think my “opinion,” while that, is a tad more informed about how these companies work and pay people, as well as what it takes to run them.

By all means, tell us how twitter is bloated and should reform itself. Actually do that instead of throwing off insightful things like “They’re too big and should cut staff because I say so.”

Sorry but that isn’t how an open forum works.

1 Like

OK, so how is Twitter going to turn a profit? Anyone who realistically has an interest in buying them is out. Google is the best fit and they don’t really need the data.

You tell me, what are their options other than dramatically downsizing?

You want the Twitter business plan? Great. I’m not a VC though.

That said, when you have a service used by, literally, hundreds of millions of people monthly, there are ways to make money off of that. It is a decision about how they want to do so. Twitter has been hyperfocused on “growth” as a metric because that’s what the VCs and other investors wanted them to focus on. They can focus on other things to achieve sustainability. Facebook managed the same trick. Yammer sold itself to Microsoft. There are options.

I’m still waiting for your estimations of acceptable staffing with numbers.

2 Likes

Uh huh.

I’ll get right back to you with that when you deliver the business plan.

For the record, I love Twitter. I use it everyday, and the community I’m in is the polar opposite of everything Twitter gets a bad rap for. It’s supportive, inclusive and no one says a bad thing about anyone.

It honestly breaks my heart that the business isn’t thriving.

But it’s openness is it’s strength and it’s weakness. Disney won’t touch a business with Twitters toxic reputation with a forty foot pole.

Clearly, the executive will in the company to deliver a return on investment isn’t cutting it.

If they can’t get it together, the buyer will probably end up being some kind of Wall Street hatchet business, who at best will cut jobs and make it profitable, and at worst strip it for parts.

Yes, the normal response when someone asks you to justify your blue skying with actual numbers and details is to make them do it first. Does this conversational gambit often work? You’re the one asserting that “they just do this thing because of reasons.” I called you on it and your response is to ask me to do the same thing. Cool.

Clearly because they’re bloated and should fire everyone so it makes money, right?

I’m always amazed at these pieces on Boing Boing where Cory or someone posts something about a company doing a lay off or having a hard time and then it is a 50+ thread pile on of people shitting on the company and feeling good about it. Definitely a directory of wonderful things.

1 Like

OK. I’m going to accept that this is obviously personal for you, and I’ve crossed a line that goes beyond flippant blog commentary.

I sincerely apologise for upsetting you, and I really genuinely hope there is a good outcome to be found for Twitter and it’s staff.

Well, you did call for human beings, real ones, that some of us actually know, to just be fired because clearly their employer is run by jerks and they don’t need or want jobs. Hell, you gotta break a few eggs and all that, amirite?

Next time I have lunch with an engineer on their security team, I’ll ask them if anyone has called for them to be fired that day as bloat.

1 Like

Have a great day.

Yeah, I’m on Twitter too much, and get a great deal of news and fun from it. I do keep a fairly active block list - there are some folk I never want to hear from. I’m just a small user, maybe 150 followers. I think I follow about 700 people. I hope Twitter finds a way to stay viable. I’d pay to keep it, but some folk would find that a burden. and I doubt that any amount of user fees could satisfy the VCs.

Self-driving cars probably.

1 Like
5 Likes

Apparently Twitter is killing Vine.

Related, presumably?

Did anyone use Vine?

1 Like

I think there were maybe 6-12 BB articles this last year that linked to vine videos. Not a high number.

1 Like

I’ve seen a few observations about how Vine was apparently overwhelmingly used by young POC who are now losing their space because of Twitter’s disinterest in fixing its abuse problems.

This string of tweets is worth reading:

3 Likes

Good read, led me down a few google searches and now I know that Gab - the twitter alternative created for the alt right kicked from twitter and facebook - has more curation tools than Twitter.

That’s all you need to know. The company whose logo is based on Pepe himself funded by a Trump fan has better self moderation than Twitter.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.