Twitter to prompt users to change 'harmful' language before hitting that 'tweet' button

Oh man, like a “mood Clippy.” Now I want to make a similar text analyzer: “It looks like you’re trying to summon Cthulhu, do you want some help with that?”

But that would actually be potentially useful…

4 Likes

Surely that tweet can’t actually have been written by a sitting president of the United States of America?

3 Likes

That’s the official account, but at 4:46am, who knows where he was sitting.

3 Likes

Oh, actually, I would say I do. And have this popping up any time a certain tansprayed person would even touch their phones. Without the option of sending any message, tweet, text, or voice, ever.

A bit like what Rob describes with the Terms of Use from Adobe. Just keep to them in the loop, so to say.

1 Like

I think you are confusing “will not solve the problem 100%” with “will not make any difference at all”.

We build a narrative that ‘harmful’ tweets are only sent by awful people who just need to be removed. Sadly, a lot of online abuse (obviously not the worst, but still a lot that simply makes the world a worse place) is sent by people who are momentarily angry enough (and maybe with good reason) to put their anger into the public forum, reducing society’s overall welfare.

For example, on most media, I try to “cool off” for a few minutes after writing, leading to a lot of deleted posts that added heat, but not light. Probably reduces the number of non-illumanitive posts by 50%. Does it solve it? No. Does it help? Yes.

Measure like Twitter’s may make a few percent difference, and as long as the cost of this measure is not too high, then that is success…

3 Likes

Nobody asked for this, but it gives them cover to say hey are working on the problem and do nothing of substance. Twitter fundamentally protects nazis.

It’s all to late for me anyway, I’m banned. Good riddance.

5 Likes

I hear that he will only use a mePhone; and that the “me*” is written in Sharpie.

*and it isn’t actually in lowercase or spelt correctly.

1 Like

Really don’t want to have to see this shit every time I happen to swear, which I do in a neutral non-abusive way all the time. I don’t trust whatever algorithm or computer they built to tell the difference between “That’s fucking fantastic!” and “That’s just fucking fantastic.”

And I get the feeling it’d either err on the side of all swearing being naughty or it’ll do something utterly bizarre like the time something deep within the bowels of twitter briefly decided “thank you” was a spam phrase. Maybe both!

Actually scratch that. I want it now, specifically so it can question people ominously about totally innocuous tweets causing them to stare at their tweet in feverish confusion trying to imagine how “I made banana bread!” might have become a vicious unspeakable insult while they weren’t looking.

2 Likes

I guess this is useful to closet Nazi’s that get a little too worked up. Next version will offer to apply the dog whistle filter to their post to add just enough plausible deniability while still delivering the originally garbage intent. Fuck you twitter.

3 Likes

We do seem to be firmly in the 1990’s Dystopian Movie Universe.

I wonder if this system could be ddos’d by encouraging all twitter users to end every post with

shit piss fuck cunt cocksucker motherfucker tits nazi asshole maga

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.