Twitter to prompt users to change 'harmful' language before hitting that 'tweet' button

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/05/twitter-harmful.html

1 Like

I would love it if they created a prompt that pops up whenever someone types a Tweet containing terms like “fake news” or “Russia hoax” or “Make America Great Again!!!” and advises them that they their Tweet may make them come across as a moronic bigot.

18 Likes

Does Trump even use an iPhone?

2 Likes

literally the only reason I get on to twitter is to yell at and be mean to people. my stream is just a ton of ‘fuck you for xxxx’ messages to famous eugenicists. example, today i dropped by senator fuckface’s twitter account and said “hi there, just wanted to drop you a line about your recent proposal for corporate murder immunity : fuck you for trying to legalize murder, again”

if you don’t yell at people, how will they know they’re wrong? after the damage is done?

11 Likes

Well that oughta clean things up on that site!

1 Like

Fuckin-a right!

3 Likes

Idpol church ladies: “Do something about the trolls and hate speech!”
Twitter: “Ok…”
Idpol church ladies: “Me am play gods!”

3 Likes

My browser spell checker has a sentiment analyser that shows a little icon giving an indication if I’m being negative, positive, supportive, etc. I hate it. I keep turning it off and they keep re-enabling it.

6 Likes

Normal users: “Nazis are terrible people!”
Twitter: “Hey, hey, let’s calm down, alright?”
Nazis: (posts pictures of swastikas)
Twitter: “This doesn’t violate our terms of service.”

9 Likes

…What kind of browser are you using? Is it some sort of plugin? I’ve never heard of anything like that.

1 Like

You are sounding negative, @gracchus. Do want to edit your post to be more supportive?
(/s)

15 Likes

It’s the Grammarly plugin.

NEW: Detect your tone
Grammarly’s built-in tone detector helps you figure out how your message will come across to readers. That means you’ll have the opportunity to add a little more confidence, friendliness, or whatever the situation calls for before you hit send.

And yeah, @someguy, the moment I typed “hate” I got a “negative” icon (because the damned sentiment analyser is on yet again).

12 Likes

Just change “YouTube comment” to “tweet” and there it is.

7 Likes

That wouldn’t work with Trump.

4 Likes

That sounds super-weird. I almost want to try it, just to see if my regular negativity is enough to break the meter or if I need to turn it up a notch – but I also don’t want to try it because YOU CAN’T TELL ME WHAT TO DO, GRAMMARLY, YOU’RE NOT MY DAD!

5 Likes

No edit function but a Nanny option. Awesome.

2 Likes

Not sure if it’s still true, but the regular batshit stuff on his account used to be posted from an Android, the occasional grammatically correct and even-toned Tweets were posted from an iPhone.

9 Likes

an unsecured, off the shelf phone even:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/06/politics/donald-trump-secure-phone-calls-impeachment/index.html

4 Likes

If someone gets in an angry flamewar and regrets it, they may leave Twitter and never return. It seems to be in the platform’s best interest to offer an experience that minimized regrets. I believe deleting posts is part of what makes that experience.

2 Likes

Well, this will be as effective as throwing meringues into a black hole.

2 Likes