Twitter verification still not for the crowd

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/07/28/twitter-verification-still-not.html

3 Likes

“If they won’t let you in to their tree house, they aren’t really your friends.” ~ Mom

26 Likes

I’m not bitter or anything, but Twitter has denied my request for verification.

Buddy, they did you a YUUUUGE favor.

11 Likes

Bizarre.

You’re a celebrity to us, Rob. Cheer up!

9 Likes

let us know if you need volunteer paparazzi to help your case.

3 Likes

Realistically, how are they going to manually verify more than 300 million users, or even a tenth of that? They’d have to assign about 30 to 40 people just to do that for the next year, assuming each can realistically verify 4 to 5 accounts a minute for 8 hours straight every day, and even that’s pushing it. To verify all 300 million, they’d have to increase their workforce of 4,000 by at least 10%, and then figure out what to do with all those new hires when they’d finished slogging through the backlog and only need to verify new users.

I wouldn’t hold my breath if I were you and, heck, I don’t even know if I’m me yet.

ETA: Of course if they charged a fee for verification, they could pay for the service that way. But they seem pretty adamant about it remaining free and monetizing the data instead. And nothing would destroy verification’s cachet faster than charging for it. I don’t really buy that the prestige factor was ever an unintended consequence. Verified celebs draw other users in. Twitter isn’t Facebook.

2 Likes

Eh, no big thing. Twitter seems to be going down anyhow. I am wondering if I should even bother keeping it around anymore.

What possible reason is there for Rob to be so put out at not being a verified member of the twitterverse?

Nope, I can’t think of anything either.

14 Likes

Truth is I really don’t use twitter much (at least compared to colleagues and peers). I’ve been on it for a decade but never had an awful lot of tweets, and would go for weeks at a time without tweeting at all.

I bet that there is a lot of analytical magic at their end that tells operators quite accurate information about whether an account is contributing to the ecology of Twitter or just sort of floating on it. And that that is a big part of ‘eligibility’ when the user isn’t an obvious celeb.

3 Likes

Of the editors and former editors at BB…

Verified: Cory Doctorow, Xeni Jardin, Maggie Koerth-Baker and John Brownlee.

Not verified: Mark Frauenfelder, Joel Johnson, Leigh Alexander, Laura Hudson, Lisa Katayama, Brandon Boyer, Jason Weisberger and myself.

Pesco is not on Twitter, though he squats the Pesco handle.

4 Likes

Kinda surprised that Mark isn’t verified; he’s the one guy I knew about before I started reading BoingBoing because of his work with MAKE. Anyway, I never used twitter and just kinda assumed that it worked in the same way that YouTube does: get 100,000 followers and you’re verified.

1 Like

Almost as gutting as the time my Wikipedia article got deleted because I was either imaginary or unimportant.

Sad!

5 Likes

That sounds painful.

9 Likes

@pesco ^ ^ ^

5 Likes

same here:
given all additional personal data (what a deal!) and they neglected the VIP status…
:-/

I applied for this too, but haven’t heard any response yet. I submitted the required docs too, but have my doubts they’ll let me through the Verified list. Bummed cause there’s a parody account that uses my photo and a lame fast food franchise trying to sneak into my namespace.

Doctor’s Associates? I thought that was a creepy sounding name way before the whole Jared thing came to light.

ca. 2003:

ETA: Obviously that is Achewood and I am not taking credit for it, but it did perfectly mirror my feelings at the time. And more so now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.