Two men arrested for posing as U.S. Marshals to avoid wearing masks at Florida hotel

Originally published at: Two men arrested for posing as U.S. Marshals to avoid wearing masks at Florida hotel | Boing Boing

11 Likes

Glad stupid still catches up with some people

23 Likes

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Also…Florida natch

18 Likes

They must not have gotten the message that being a white male no longer gets you a free pass for behaving like a terrorist.

17 Likes

Cool, so using indigenous people as a fig leaf to act like entitled colonizers? Something tells me that’s the part they won’t face charges for.

24 Likes

tumblr_a6826f0011d19ce3c1c9cd19555b6ecc_7542d25f_500

24 Likes
  1. Those are two different people and not the same person with an age filter or taken 40 years apart?

2. For anyone wondering, native police, or at least some of them, more or less have US Marshal type status, because while they may police specific native land, their duties might take them elsewhere in the US.

14 Likes

Maybe it’s a Looper, and the young one didn’t execute his older self like he’s supposed to do.

13 Likes

8d140622d6628dd97f2777c5c073bdf9

4 Likes

So they went through the trouble to make fake badges, which they wore rather than having some common decency and just wearing a mask? Wow. Just wow.

17 Likes

Um. Are there real ones?

18 Likes

I would have liked being the first to respond to this topic, because down here at nr. 11 it seems a bit late. However:

12 Likes

I don’t understand why a US Marshal would be exempt from wearing a mask in the first place. You’d think they’d be more likely to be exposed and to expose others if their job involves encountering the general public. If they weren’t at the hotel for official reasons and were just staying there, they wouldn’t have jurisdiction to override the hotel’s policy… The hotel could still ask them to leave if they didn’t abide by the policies.

19 Likes

Okay, I can see where you went wrong there; you applied logic to their statement. :wink:

19 Likes

“I can have you arrested if you force me to wear a mask.” This is a dead giveaway; U.S. Marshals are LEOs that do the arresting of criminals - they don’t ‘have you arrested’. They would also instead say ‘if you demand I wear a mask’. LEOs don’t let people force them to do much of anything outside of a courtroom.

9 Likes

I wonder how their no mask policy is holding up in jail?

8 Likes

It isn’t that there’s any rule exempting them, per se. It’s that these guys knew that intimidation and threats from law enforcement officers are all you need to get away with literally anything in this country.

7 Likes

Yeah, see they were undercover agents traveling without cover - like who’s gonna expect to expose them when they’re already exposed.
Which leads me to the excellent Dave Graney, whom I have been thrashing a lot lately - this’ll explain it all:

As heard on a crime drama TV show… a cop’s comment about criminals: “Thank God they’re stupid.”

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly. Really?

1 Like