Two men killed by train while mourning brother who had been killed by train in same spot

Originally published at: Two men killed by train while mourning brother who had been killed by train in same spot | Boing Boing

tim-gunn-flabbergasted

18 Likes

I think it would be nice if all the dangers we face were as clearly marked and predictable as oncoming trains, yet it clearly wouldn’t resolve risks derived from poor judgment.

By Saving Private Ryan rules, Tom Hanks has to now keep any surviving brothers far away from train tracks.

14 Likes

Officials suspect that alcohol was a “contributing factor,”

I’ve always appreciated this standard police-blotter understatement.

21 Likes

What was that pithy saying about people who don’t learn from history?

5 Likes

That was soooooooo Seinfeld.

2 Likes

Obligatory.

darwin

3 Likes
2 Likes

If you have been drinking, use a rideshare, have a designated driver, or stay where you are.

“Unless where you are is on some active train tracks conducting a memorial service. Then go somewhere else.”

11 Likes

By another Tom Hanks movie rules, he should wash his hands of it because “stupid is as stupid does”

3 Likes

Not sure what the purpose of posting this story was.

1 Like

Another victim in this story is the train driver.
We had a friend of the family who drove the night train. He said all of his colleagues were terrified of hitting someone (mostly suicidal people) as it’s well known the experience fucks you up for life.

13 Likes

i feel sorry for all involved. the train driver and the 2 brothers whose grief caused them a serious lapse in judgement. i hope the parents have predeceased them or this is going to be too much to take.

5 Likes

Have taxis been completely killed off in parts of the US?

Many years ago Smithsonian Magazine did an article about train drivers and one thing always stuck in my mind: Almost no engineers get through their career without hitting someone.

The worst, according to the article were suicides when they face the oncoming train, sometimes looking straight at the engineer.

Killing yourself is your right but don’t make other people suffer the rest of their life for your actions, that is just about the ultimate selfish gesture.

5 Likes

“ Killing yourself is your right but don’t make other people suffer the rest of their life for your actions, that is just about the ultimate selfish gesture.”

Like, train = Covid, dude… This is so PSA ready.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.