Two people busted for using excavator to dig shortcut through the Great Wall of China

Originally published at: Two people busted for using excavator to dig shortcut through the Great Wall of China | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Man, Mulan is gonna be SO PISSED

12 Likes

Well, now it’s the Good Wall of China.

If these shenanigans continue, next it’ll be the Okay Wall of China.

21 Likes

10 Likes

:astonished: :rage:

7 Likes

“This is the chance we’ve been waiting for, boys! Now let’s RIDE!”

28 Likes

Moone

They needed a shortcut to school.

14 Likes

Does this happen a lot? Or did medieval bishops harvest their own fucking stone instead of using the local Roman infrastructure as a glorified quarry?

4 Likes

I know how this goes. They run the local HOA, and have forged documents which say that they own the property. /s

15 Likes

From the photos I’m seeing this section of the wall doesn’t look like the famous and iconic Ming Dynasty section that’s made of stone. Different parts were built with whatever local building materials were available, and this site looks like it might have been one of the areas that used rammed earth rather than stone. Which helps explain why the damage is being described as “irreparable,” since stone bricks could potentially be re-stacked.

13 Likes

Yeah i was thinking the same. Some of the more remote sections of the wall that are also near some plains were built in a less durable way and most of these sections have mostly fallen apart entirely on their own, so if its one these parts of the wall then it’s pretty much done for. I wonder what the punishment for this would look like :grimacing:

9 Likes

Much of the Great Wall has been “restored” I’m not sure what that does to the archeological prospects.

8 Likes

According to a 2008 documentary on the subject the traditional punishment is for the enemies of the Emperor to be buried beneath the wall itself. :wink:

9 Likes

I hear that those sections that were built of local materials in the far North are especially threatened.

9 Likes

puddle fail GIF

11 Likes

I Can Do What I Want Parks And Recreation GIF

18 Likes

I have heard that the Chinese people favor initiative. Was that wrong? /s

Britney Spears What GIF

10 Likes

I wonder if they even knew what it was - given the symbolic nature of the wall, people would surely be aware that the government would crack down harshly on anyone damaging it, but as this section doesn’t appear to be anything more than a long mound of earth (with existing gaps), you’d have to be explicitly told what it was to make the connection to the famous sections. They obviously knew it was some sort of archeological site, though.

4 Likes

Fucking Mongolians!

3 Likes