Two Republican candidates tell Michigan poll workers to "show up armed" and "unplug machines"

The members of the FDC are making no bones about their intentions for elections from now on.
The longer their ambitions go unchecked, the harder it will be to thwart them in the future without extreme unpleasantness on all sides.
This foolishness needs to be crushed without mercy; anyone who thinks they will show mercy when they gain power is not paying attention to their utterances.

ETA:

10 Likes

It’s pretty strange when viewed from the inside, too. I fear it’s just going to get stranger with the midterms and whatever lies beyond.

7 Likes

In a number of states that I know of you have to declare which party you will be voting for in the primary election – and will be handed a ballot with only the names of candidates from that specific party – and in Indiana at least you are informed that you must vote for the same party in the general election. So much for secret ballots.

10 Likes

That’s most of Indiana, too. I actually called a poll worker over last time when I was done, because the screen went blank and there was no receipt or final message or anything. She said ‘yeah, that’s how we do it here’.

So I have no idea if the votes of any of my family actually got counted.

10 Likes

Sure this is poll workers and not poll watchers?? It would still be very wrong but it would make a lot more sense than poll workers.

The original article clearly says “poll workers.”

And either way, it still makes sense, because the mainstream of the GOP doesn’t care about legality any more. And this behavior by either poll workers or poll watchers is highly illegal. It’s election interference who ever does it.

14 Likes

Like a tauntaun and the smell, once you’re on the inside it’s even worse.

7 Likes

What they said at the start of the video clip went way beyond that - it was virtually identical to Trump’s riot incitement speech.

“Give me liberty or give me death means you fight RIGHT NOW.”

So they just directly signaled to fight to the death.

Yikes. The AG should file riot incitement charges… well… right now.

7 Likes

I’d wager these aren’t poll workers, but poll watchers. People each party sends to monitor things.

a bunch of 7
I’m convinced many MI rethugs are just ahem warming up here before heading to flaaarida and texass.

7 Likes

Fascists are on the march. Meanwhile, the Democratic Party seems to be focusing on being the Neville Chamberlains of our day - appeasing and both-sidering and dallying around with fringe issues.

1 Like

We passed a pretty good ballot measure in 2018 that gave us no-reason absentee ballots, automatic voter registration at SOS (one step beyond Motor Voter), and same-day voter registration. Republicans can’t claw any of this back because these changes are state constitutional amendments. There’s still a fight over our district maps that, by a different constitutional amendment, also passed in 2018, requires a non-partisan panel to draw the maps, but of course obvious republicans have been appointed to the panel, and can’t help themselves from trying to screw everything up in their party’s favor. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

11 Likes

I know. I’m questioning whether the original got it wrong.

The article clearly says, “The candidates were meeting with prospective poll workers.” (Emphasis Mine)

As such, the people in the crowd were neither poll workers nor poll watchers, but rather people who are considering (and with the encouragement of these candidates) signing up to work as poll workers and/or poll watchers, probably both.

3 Likes

So what’s going to replace the Republican party? It is obvious they are now indulging in and encouraging Un-American activities. Is there another party waiting in the wings? A group of people who actually believe in Democracy?

2 Likes

Let’s just hope that homo sapiens still exists as a species to find out, because the Republicans are not going out without a fight. It’s not Republicans vs. Democrats; it’s Republicans vs. humanity.

6 Likes

We do that in Sweden too, but we vote on Sundays when the schools are otherwise empty. How does it work when you vote on a workday, do the kids get the day off?

1 Like

Some districts give the kids the day off, others just don’t let the kids use the gym on election day, which is always Tuesday.

12 Likes

Either way, it’s still illegal.

9 Likes

That follows the old tenet that there are 3 methods of redress: The soap box, the ballot box, the bullet box.

2 Likes