Two very stable geniuses say Thomas Jefferson enslaved people but didn't support slavery

My guess is that you can find many references in this book when it comes out in April.

There’s a google books preview.

It focuses explicitly on Southern banks though.

But the issues at the center of this inquiry still all reside at the immediate intersection of banking and slavery. I am not concerned with questions about the profitability of southern banks, their impact on general economic development at the state and local levels, or their role within the national and international macro economy. I also largely ignore northern and European banks, whose relationship with slavery was usually more indirect, through the financing of the cotton trade or through investment in southern bonds. Although these questions and relationships are not irrelevant to the system of slavery, they are not dependent upon it either. Bank financing of the international cotton trade, for example, could have occurred in a counterfac- tual universe without slavery. This study instead focuses exclusively on those ways that southern commercial banks directly, knowingly, and explicitly interacted with the slave system.

8 Likes