Two well-known YouTube game crafters paint up an entire tabletop fantasy village in five days

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/14/two-well-known-youtube-game-cr.html

3 Likes

poofreadr on vakashun?

1 Like

Pretty sweet!

1 Like

Pretty impressive. I’ve recently been trying to get back into painting after about two decades of spending too much time at work and not enough at fun. Sometime in those twenty years, my hands got a hell of a lot less steady.

3 Likes

I was looking for a video I saw, that I think was by Tabletop Minions, about how to combat shaky hands when painting minis; unfortunately, my Google-fu has failed me. The basic technique was to brace your elbows on your work surface, and then place your hands together; one holding the mini and one holding the paintbrush. An interesting alternative I found was while searching was this…

2 Likes

Brent from Goober Town is sooooo relaxing.

" resign-cast buildings " ?

I think the spell-chequer must have put that one in.

2 Likes

He resined.

3 Likes

Thanks for the link!

As much fun as it is to watch these guys paint the village, I wonder if anyone makes watchable video of a village like this being used? Like, in an actual game?

1 Like

Hate to sound cliched but…

No video, but there used to be a regular event at Australian game conventions that was based around a giant model city (same scale as normal tabletop RPG miniatures). IIRC, it was about 6’x20’; the game usually involved 50-100 players. There were also an assortment of dungeons and outdoor locations set up in adjoining rooms.

It was run as a large-scale freeform RPG, not a wargame.

2 Likes

One of the Privateer Press videos show the technique you describe, IIRC.

1 Like

That sounds amazing. Do you remember what it was called?

Unfortunately, no.

The game and the city had the same name; it was a fairly D&D-cliche name (“Ravenloft” etc), but I can’t remember what it was.

It was basically a freeform with added miniatures, and they’d run it at every convention they could get to.

At the time, every Oz con featured several freeforms, but this was the only one that used miniatures. Most of the others were straight theatrical-style.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.