Tylenol can "ward off existential dread of death and nothingness"

But they undermine our moral foundations and cause upright men to sin!

I’ve heard that aspirin helps ease the emotional pain of a broken heart, weirdly enough.

2 Likes

Paracetamol works better for me when with codeine - cocodamol.
But I would never have believed it would be so effective as a pain killer given intravenously. Post-operative intravenous paracetamol ws surprisingly effective. But the exisential dread was dealt with by the operation being successful and me actually coming round.

2 Likes

I agree that $0 is the correct bail for a prostitute, since they shouldn’t have been arrested in the first place.

I wouldn’t be too hard on the participants. I think this kind of experiment shows most people haven’t thought deeply about the criminal justice system and don’t really understand bail (who does?). They’re asked to take a pill and then answer a random criminal justice question out of the blue sky, so naturally most people throw up their hands and pick a number right in the middle of the offered range.

2 Likes

“suddenly feeling a need to assert their values.” Really? After an existential experience a need to assert ‘your values’ is in order? I think that’s why we’re in such a fucked up society. Too many white conservative men and conservative god fearing religions want to assert their values upon us. Fuck 'em.

2 Likes

Well, presumably they are “falling back on their values”, and that the more they “fall back on the values” the harder they turn the screws on a prostitute. Pretty gross – and a very curious choice of crime to use.

which is a fantastically bad idea

2 Likes

This works too:

1 Like

That event screwed me up for about a decade in terms of anxiety and actual OCD.

2 Likes

I think you presume too much but I agree it is weird to use that particular crime.

1 Like

I’ve attached the articel if anyone wants to see the original research. Its underwhelming.
randles2013.pdf (463.4 KB)

4 Likes

Currently taking a fairly significant dose for inflammatory issues with an overused middle finger (really, that’s sadly not the sarcastic or snarky part…), and while it seems to be helping with the inflammation, it’s certainly not working for the existential dread.

Maybe I’ll feel better after the midterms…

2 Likes

So does a saline solution apparently:

1 Like

That looks like the report that I was trying to remember for a comment - thanks.

Not one to mix with SSRIs.
I suspect that the combination was responsible for the seizure which opened up an unrealised (and previously stable) wedge fracture in my spine, giving my arthritis a new focus.

So skim reading the abstract, might we be able to use this to justify medical weed for us aspies?

1 Like

more than 120 college students

is how the sample size of that study was described, so maybe Helen should calm down a bit?

So they’re COX blockers?

3 Likes

In other words, yet another study of American undergrads?

1 Like

On MMJ for aspies: it’s an argument worth making. And it’s worth getting some shrinks and clients in a legalization state to do some controlled experimentation. With rigorous talking and documentation and a willingness to quit. (This being the problem with most MMJ boosters - they never want to declare a mismatch.)

With the caveat that we do not understand the endogenous cannabinoid system even as well as we understand the GABA system. And we don’t understand the GABA system. We know the basics on the GABA system thanks to 30,000 years of booze (and a century of benzos). We don’t have an equivalent other source of cannabinoid stimulation/augmentation, and it’s really easy to tip into paranoia and rage if we fuck too much with the endogenous cannabinoid system.

Don’t expect it to be a long-term or permanent treatment, but it’s worth investigating as a transitional treatment (while learning behavioral hacks) or as a respite treatment (because even when you get all your hacks installed, they’re still hacks and they take more energy).

if only. Because there are a lot of frat houses in need…

1 Like

so can a nice indica OP