Typeface elegantly combines Braille and English characters

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/04/03/typeface-elegantly-combines-br.html

6 Likes

Clever and it looks good.
(Yes, I have a thing for monospace and OCR fonts.)

8 Likes

Always liked this building on Van Ness in SF. Hard to see or feel those dots however.

3 Likes

It amazes me that it took nearly 200 years for someone to come up with what is a seemingly simple and obvious idea in hindsight

5 Likes

The “I” and “V” are a little problematic, but overall a brilliant and very natural looking combination of Braille and lettering.

4 Likes

What is the reverse-L pattern to the left of the number one?

1 Like

I isn’t so bad, but that V straight up looks like a U. I probably would have made it as a verticle line on the left, a full diagonal on the right, and that point just hanging off of a tail or something. Or just don’t connect it. I know it kind of ruins the theme but blind people won’t care and it makes the letter more visible for sighted people.

2 Likes

That’s the # character. I’m guessing it really didn’t work at all in this font.

3 Likes

I’m going to use this font on my site so blind people can read it too.

6 Likes

Just getting rid of frames and Java script bullshit might already be a good idea.
Not only text to speech would work better that way. Also, this:

Oh, and just for the fun of it:

3 Likes

The implementation difficulty with this is that in normal use, Braille uses a lot of abbreviations to save space since it is so much larger than usual printed characters. Many words have one character abbreviations. http://www.acb.org/tennessee/braille.html

1 Like

Did you see the font available anywhere to try out? I’d be willing to give it a go, but at this point, all I saw were demo pictures…

I can’t see what you did there :wink:

4 Likes

To elaborate on what @jandrese said:

That character indicates that what follows is to be interpreted as digits rather than letters. Note that the Braille pattern for the digit 1 is the same as that for the letter A, and so forth.

Of course in practice, the mixture of tactile and visual would be difficult to achieve. I suspect that you’d have to print on thick Braille paper first, and then carefully align before putting the paper into a Braille embosser. I’m thinking that this could be very useful for teaching braille to those whose vision is in decline.

1 Like

Is that everything until the next space, or is there a (letters) character that toggles it back?

This is an interesting study but I’m not sure how it would be applied. Braille is mandated by ADA along with tactile copy on some identification signs, but very few blind people actually read Braille, something like 5% of visually impaired people read braille, and it’s diminishing as new digital tools are developed.

Tactile copy is meant to make up the difference but very few fonts are code compliant. They need to be sans serif and have a specific line weight.

This font is more like a tribute to a dying language. Which is more interesting to me than a font that is actually meant to be functional.

1 Like

2 Likes

How do they know the difference between the numbers 1-9 ad the letter A-J? THey have the same dot patterns.

Context?