U.K. talk show host argues with carpenter by insisting concrete can be grown like trees

I guess that it is possible to “grow” limestone; it just needs a lot of time :joy:

21 Likes

I think that his head is full Schist.

24 Likes

I think he has a mind of cement: thoroughly mixed and permanently set

16 Likes

I think that’s about proving that vegetarians and vegans are hypocrites, while meat eaters are already killing animals so it is consistent.

17 Likes

As a sometime volunteer and true fan of The Center for Maximum Potential Building Systems (worldwide projects but located in east-central Austin, Texas), I was once told of a ~1990s project involving “growing” something like cement / lime in seawater, using a metal framework as a substrate.

I haven’t the best grasp of chemistry, but the CMPBS proof-of-concept project involved an anode, a cathode, the Gulf of Mexico, a car battery, and a roll of welded wire metal fencing. This is basically how it worked:

source:
https://www.oceanlifefoundation.org/coral-reef-restoration

I don’t think the folks in the talk show were necessarily talking about mineral accretion technology and “growing concrete,” but I did want to tip my hat to the mad geniuses at CMPBS, who often have projects that well and truly fall into the category (AFAICT) of Wonderful Things.

ETA: One thing I remember about the project was that shellfish preferentially sought out a spot to cling to on the wire, and that these marine animals had to be gently removed. “We couldn’t keep the crabs off the wire, they just loved it” was a revelatory disclosure to me. Wow. The thought was the crabs were using the very low voltage to build up their own shells (with the lime/minerals), between moltings.

25 Likes

89df4165-c794-4fec-a202-20960a20666b_screenshot_phixr

17 Likes

Chock full of coprolites

9 Likes

Insert ‘why not both?’ gif.

Hmm - that was the non-rude version.

3 Likes

The course aggregate is the average score for those who took the end-of-course test. He scored so far below this he has no idea what it is.

Nor does he know about coarse aggregate and cement.

:wink:

(Sorry - open goal - Pedant Pendant in operation.)

5 Likes

Mike Graham, civil engineer…

3 Likes

Come on. Finding a mouse in your beer is much more plausible than growing concrete. (Also back bacon is tasty.)

3 Likes
3 Likes

Oh dear gods.

I actually work there at the moment. They’re setting up a new TV news channel, and I’m helping with the Avid side of things, 'cos they’re all radio people with no knowledge of TV production workflows.

The people I work with are great, as are the facilities and pay. The production team are really smart people and are always grateful when I help them out of a hole. And it’s a surprisingly diverse workplace considering the stuff that comes out of it.

But yeah, the downside is that we have to listen to stuff like this on a daily basis.
And I also overheard one of the journalists once say, without a hint of irony:
“I think the best thing about me is that I have no ethics.”
That’s the BSJ way for ya.

Having said that, Mike regularly checks in with the engineering team to make sure they’re okay, and will frequently bring booze down for them (I don’t drink), so he’s not completely beyond redemption.
Just mostly.

It’s disconcerting that they’ve recently employed Jeremy Kyle and that by comparison, he seems like the moderate voice on the station.
If you’re not familiar with Kyle, he ran a Springer-style show on ITV, before it got canned after a guest committed suicide.
And a few months later, one of the researchers also committed suicide.
Dark, horrible shit.

Of course, Piers Morgan’s also starting with us in the new year. That’ll be… interesting.

I do have trouble justifying to myself where I work now.
But having been made redundant when furlough terms changed in August last year, options were limited. This is conveniently close to home for me, being a half hour from my local train station. I’ve been freelancing since March and have recently been offered the role on a permanent basis, and I think I’ll take it.

No matter what the content of the channel is, being in at the ground floor during the set-up of a new TV station is invaluable experience.

In other words, yes, if I stop and think about it, I do hate myself a little for how mercenary I’m being.
But steady work with people who respect my skills is a heady tonic.

24 Likes

That is a dumb question.

No doubt they’re anxious to avoid a GB News-style omnishambles.

P.S They tweeted this out several hours later in an attempt to prove that he had been right.

5 Likes

I’ve talked to more than one person that didn’t know/realize water runs downhill w/ gravity. Seriously. Time for some folks to step away from the keyboard and get outdoors.

3 Likes

It is ultimately owned by Rupert Murdoch, so I’m not sure what you expected? Perhaps you weren’t aware of that?

10 Likes

And then it turned out that there were multiple suicides connected with his shows.

18 Likes

The cruelty is the point… :rage:

12 Likes

Sorry, should have been more clear. From his Talk Radio shows so far, despite his previous nasty reputation, some of his views have surprised me.
Usually, Talk Radio’s all thinly veiled assaults on publicly owned services, such as the NHS and BBC, and “Woke” politics. The agenda’s pretty obvious.

Kyle is slightly different in that he’s not preaching the editorial line, and has in fact said some things that are in direct contradiction.

I’m not saying I like the guy, just that I’m surprised no-one’s told him to fall in line yet.
All of the other presenters read from the same hymn sheet, as they have been trained to do by the BSJ, which is very clear in telling you early on in your training that your public views should mirror those of the owner of the institution you’re working for.
That, in essence, you should have “no ethics”, as per the journalist highlighted previously.

Kyle is quite obviously bucking that trend. Not dramatically, but just enough to make me sit up and notice.

4 Likes