U.K. talk show host argues with carpenter by insisting concrete can be grown like trees

He’s famous. that’s probably enough to give him some leeway with the corporate line, but not if he goes too far.

Also, more generally, for those not in the current UK, TalkRADIO is (thankfully) the only national radio station that uses the US style “talk” format in the UK. It used to be more focussed on sports, and only ran the “opinion” segments in late-night hours, but now it seems they’ve gone full-on angry shouting person radio.

3 Likes

The GB News launch has been a rich source of entertainment for a lot of people at NewsUK.

Not sure they should be laughing too hard, as if GB News fails, to some extent it implies there’s no appetite for a Fox News style station in the UK. And it would be a pretty strong indicator that similar ventures (read: Talk TV) might suffer the same fate.

4 Likes

Yeah, TalkSPORT has been completely split off from TalkRADIO.
They run 11 radio stations out of the NewsUK building, including TalkRADIO, TalkSPORT, Times Radio, Virgin Radio and others.
Over the summer, they ran a station called Virgin Pride targetting the LGBTQ+ audience.
That boggled my mind considering the majority of other stuff that comes out of the building.

5 Likes

Would it surprise anyone that the drooling right-wing idiocy that is TALKradio is owned by one Rupert Murdoch?

3 Likes

I don’t know this station, but it sounds like it’s all right wing bullshit designed to get ratings that has had seriously had some very negative consequences for actual people and for politics in the UK. Very much along the lines of Fox News here… They always have a couple of guys who don’t tow the corporate line, on either side of the “political line” (really all just thinly veiled authoritarianism). I think we can all see what they are, especially given what @the_borderer posted. It’s clear that they have had a measurable impact on the world and not for the good…

It would not surprise me, as I just posted that.

3 Likes

Oh no no, you want room 12A next door. It’s Being Hit On The Head lessons in here.

4 Likes

If You Say So Reaction GIF by Identity

He’s ingratiating himself, much the same way big money shells out donations to charity. It’s not to help other people, it’s to help polish his reputation among the plebes.

4 Likes

Or for Terry Gilliam to show up in full armor and wielding a rubber chicken:
giphy

5 Likes

Former UK resident here, can confirm that many of these people exist. Loads of them. There’s a reason I live in Taiwan now. I can handle daily threats of invasion from a neighbouring dictatorship, but I can’t handle that magnitude of dumb.

5 Likes

Well, you can grow shellfish such as oysters and mussels, whose shells can be turned into calcium oxid, a critical component of concrete, but rather than suggesting a radical and unnecessary change to the supply-chain of one of the leading materials mined worldwide, I suspect he was being stupid.

6 Likes

That’s what one calls an “eloquent silence,” if I’ve ever not heard one.

5 Likes

We can take that for granite.

3 Likes

Why is the name Lewis Prothero in my mind?

5 Likes

Ah, for the care-free days of my youth, swinging on the rebar vines. :joy:

9 Likes

Trying to out-shout these people is a fool’s errand, but letting those idiotic words just hang in the air instead of continuing the pointless argument was a thing of beauty indeed.

11 Likes

Could one even imagine a world where there is no appetite for bigoted news channels.

8f6

8 Likes

He’s doubled down, now insisting that it’s perfectly reasonable to say you can “grow” concrete just like you can “grow” the economy, so it’s actually the carpenter who came off looking like an idiot.

12 Likes

Are they both speaking the same language?

1 Like

I kind of assumed that’s what he meant by grow but he has to be willfully ignoring the context of the whole conversation and how the carpenter was using the term grow. I mean maybe he thinks he’s being clever? but most people are going to watch that and think he’s a bloody idiot.

1 Like

They’re selecting for an audience made up of people who think “actually, Prothero makes a good point”.

You know, in the same way that Nigerian Prinse wants to send you $US1.000.000,00 dollars in american currency.

1 Like