U.K. talk show host argues with carpenter by insisting concrete can be grown like trees

The only way that makes sense is if he thinks the term “grow” means “to make more of something.” Which of of course would be an incredibly idiotic crime against the English language. Nobody says refinery workers are “growing” gasoline.

7 Likes

It’s not just the internet…

4 Likes

I mean, in his criticism of the carpenter he says, “he grows trees, cuts them down, and builds thing with them.” So he knows what “grow” means in context.
This whole thing is so unbearably idiotic. Is he criticizing the people who are “growing” concrete then mixing it up and building things with it?
He’s a bad faith bear. And an idiot.
(No offense to idiots. I need a new word.)

7 Likes

It’s the same form of argument as:

If evolution is real, then why are there still monkeys?

7 Likes

Poor kid should have come prepared for opposition.

“Why are you arguing with me, you asked me on your show. Are you a forester, or carpenter, or ecologist?”

Spending many years offgassing and being bad for the environment?

2 Likes

I think he’s got his head stuck up his MBA buttocks. He thinks grow in the sense of how can we grow this business and when someone says we “grow trees” thus wood is sustainable he’s either so off in his own world or being deliberately obtuse.

1 Like

Equivocation: The last holdout of the intellectually and ethically bankrupt interlocutor.

It’s about as effective and respectful as pulling your keys out during an argument and just going “jingly keys, jingly keys. See? Jingly, and shiny. I win.”

2 Likes

¿Por que no los dos?

4 Likes

This gobshite probably bitches about how stupid Yanks are, and doubtless projects like an IMAX in other regards.

2 Likes

I had never heard of Mike Graham and now I’m sorry I have.

6 Likes

Rich Pickings for Satire Sites:
Turner Prize

2 Likes

Apparently crabs have some sort of weird thing for undersea power cables. No word on whether there is some sort of pragmatic reason behind it or if it’s a byproduct of some sort of sensory heuristic that reacts poorly to an edge case that didn’t exist for most of evolutionary history.

3 Likes

They just add yeast and stick it in a cool corner to rise, right?

4 Likes

Fascinating.
Will forward to the folks at CMPBS.

I have seen fire ants preferentially nest inside electrical junction boxes attached to walls. These boxes were several feet above the ground, where fire ants typically build their mounds. I assumed it wasn’t the electrical field but a convenient way to get into a nice, somewhat weather-proof condo. Same goes for wasp nests.

And when I see cats choosing to sleep in a spot with a significantly higher-than-background electrical field, like on a stack of electronics with a cat-sized flat surface on top, I try to tell myself it’s because it’s a warm spot, and not because cats are from another planet.

4 Likes

I prefer to use a sourcrete starter. And I was doing it before you.

12 Likes

Maybe check to see if your tetanus shot is up to date. :wink:

More cables and wire, less rebar, but made me think of this.

2 Likes
4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.