U.N. Security Council passes Gaza ceasefire resolution and Trump turns:"Israel made a very big mistake"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/25/u-n-security-council-passes-gaza-ceasefire-resolution-and-trump-turnsisrael-made-a-very-big-mistake.html

6 Likes

“You have to finish up your war. You gotta get it done. And I am sure you will do that. And we gotta get to peace, we can’t have this going on.”

Spoken like a true diplomatic Stable Genius™.

13 Likes

Trump isn’t saying that the war was a mistake. He’s saying that Israel is taking too long to win it.

17 Likes

Any Jewish person or Israeli who trusts Il Douche is the one who’s making a very big mistake.

14 Likes

Not least because he doesn’t understand the difference between the two; he’s a committed believer in the antisemitic “dual loyalties” trope that posits all Jewish people pledge fealty to Israel (and thus cannot ever be truly loyal citizens of any other country).

11 Likes

I wonder, is a war ever a mistake? Like, when Napoleon invaded Russia was it a horrible waste of lives and resources…or was the problem just that Napoleon didn’t think to get it won? Imagine how different it could have been if Trump were there to advise him!

15 Likes

Yeah, it’s very much a “hurry up and kill all those people” kind of “criticism.” But it’s not like Trump has any kind of consistency on these kinds of things - he’s willing to criticize something he thinks has become unpopular (having previously been very much for it), and infamously has no concept of how military actions work on any level, so his vague notions of how something should be done changes (from one unrealistic notion to another) at the drop of a hat.

8 Likes

Maybe BiBi should have claim the invasion as “special military operation.” /S
That one takes forever, just ask Putin.

5 Likes

And he has stated that any Jew that doesn’t wholeheartedly support the current government of Israel is “self hating.” In a more general sense, he doesn’t believe that individual peons have agency. “They’re not sending their best,” in reference to immigrants isn’t just racist, it denies that immigrants have made a choice to come to the US, instead of being “sent” by their governments.

6 Likes

At any rate, I can only say “About Damn Time!”

Biden seems to be caught between the devil and the sea. If it’s a choice between 8 million Jewish votes and 8 million Islamic votes in November – which I fully understand is a gross simplification of the whole, horrible situation – then for simple humanity he had better come down on the side which doesn’t involve deliberately starving thousands of people to death.

I would posit a guess many more Jews are against the wholesale slaughter of Gazans by Netanyahu’s government than are for it. I don’t think it’s a simple matter of swapping one voting bloc for another. It’s that the politics are very tricky to navigate and it’s very hard for many people to accept any sort of nuanced positions without being immediately labeled as an antisemite because they dare to say, “what Netanyahu is doing in Gaza and the West Bank is pretty fucked up”.

7 Likes

I dont think there is any thing tricky about it yes, it was horrid that 1000 innocent people where killed in Israel, and we all felt for them, then Israel went and killed 30 innocent people for each of theirs lost, and all sympathetic views went out the window its a simple as that.

If they had killed armed men with guns fine, but they did not, they just went out and killed any one they could aim a gun at including 3 of their own people taken hostage, who had escaped and where shouting at them in Hebrew, they are just war crazed at this point hell bent on path of revenge.

2 Likes

Politically it’s a needle to thread. It shouldn’t be, but that’s where we are today. When Chuck Schumer, a Jew, is being maligned on both sides for rightly pointing out that Netanyahu is doing really fucked up things he’s labeled as an antisemite and self-hating Jew (almost entirely by the way by people who themselves are notable for not even being Jewish).

For normal people and in normal discourse, it should be completely reasonable to have enough nuanced and intellectual thought to say that we should live in a world where what Hamas did (and has been doing) is evil, and what Netanyahu is doing (and has done for decades) is also evil. These things can be true in a world where Israel should exist, and the Palestinians shouldn’t be ethnically cleansed.

2 Likes

I heard analysis on Pacifica Radio saying that Netanyahu’s staff visiting would be a political liability for Biden at this point, anyway.

3 Likes

Probably true, which makes it weirder that he cancelled. But hey, next topic…

4 Likes

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

Not even a majority of Israelis support genocide in Gaza:

3 Likes

It’s at least as likely that, before long, he’ll claim that he is Napoleon.

Lets Go Reaction GIF by GIF IT UP

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.