U.S. diplomat's wife flees Britain after killing man in road accident

It’s somewhat understandable that the US doesn’t want to waive diplomatic protection, it’s a slippery slope. If only there was some precedent for a country withdrawing diplomatic immunity from someone involved in car crash, when the host nation requested it?

1 Like

We’ll send her over with Mark Zuckerberg

2 Likes

This is why, when I drive in the British Isles, the passenger in the front seat is charged with reminding me regularly to stay on the left side of the road, go clockwise in roundabouts, and move to the far lane when turning right. It’s easy to relax and drift to the wrong side. But the one time I side-swiped a parked car, I left a note and paid for the damages.

1 Like

Do you care at all that the definition of murder is deliberate killing? (Crows notwithstanding in this context.)

And yes, her diplomatic immunity should be revoked.

ETA: Crap, I switched my reply to the original person raising this tangent and neglected to switch the reply addressee. Apologies to Mindy.

3 Likes

I think calling her husband a “diplomat” might be a bit of a stretch…

2 Likes

Hm…

4 Likes
1 Like

The pedant in me was bothered by that phrasing as well. Killer is much more accurate than “murderer”, because unfair rich White celebrity privilege aside, there was likely no active intent to end someone’s life in any of those cases.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.