U.S. diplomat's wife flees Britain after killing man in road accident

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/07/u-s-diplomats-wife-flees-br.html

9 Likes

i see what you did there…

24 Likes

I wouldn’t worry about it. There’s plenty of precedent for murderers going on to lead happy, lucrative lives as celebrities.
Just ask Matthew Broderick, Caitlyn Jenner, Don King, Ray Lewis, etc.

6 Likes

5 Likes

Diplomatic immunity seems like one of those things that used to work OK when politicians pretended to be honorable, but falls apart when you have someone with no shame empowered. In the age of Trump, time to rethink.

7 Likes

I can’t find the article now, but there was speculation that she was planning to stay in the UK, and was persuaded to leave by the US State Dept.

Also, that she and her husband may have been 3-letter-agency types.

5 Likes

And the picture is of … her husband? The deceased?

1 Like

The latter:

5 Likes

I’ve since clicked through to the source and learned this photo is indeed of Mr. Dunn, but Boing Boing still does not specify. The text you’re quoting doesn’t specifically address the photo.

In the text below, on the BB page, is

Anne Sacoolas is wanted by police over the death of motorcyclist Harry Dunn, 19, in Northamptonshire on 27 August.

2 Likes

I feel like I’m miscommunicating myself here. I understood that the victim was identified by name. My problem was that the story talked about two men (the diplomat and the victim) and didn’t say “pictured above” in reference to either.

This is all made a moot point by the presence of a “Harry Dunn. Photo: Dunn family” that answers all my questions.

Frustratingly, that caption is wholly omitted in BB Blog view, which is how I regularly consume the site’s content. I only just saw it now when viewing the solo post page (who does that?).

…wait, what?

3 Likes

People forget his history. He murdered millions of people in the early 80s by hacking into a military computer system and launching the full U.S. arsenal of nuclear weapons. He later claimed he was just “playing a game”.

7 Likes

I think he’s referring to this incident in North Ireland back in 87:

He was also driving on the wrong side of the road…

8 Likes

aha! ok, thank you. i feel much better now, haha

for a second i was feeling that whole “i’ve slipped into another universe” feeling.

wow - somehow i missed that at the time. crazy.

4 Likes

Maybe we should just deport her to Mexico with all the other murderers… /s

I know I’m covering a lot of bases here.

2 Likes

Hit and run…and run…

Faith in leadership becomes increasingly fractured when one sees decisions such as this. This was only an investigation, not a charge, and would not be a part of the news cycle if the response was proper and expected.

Do these people think anymore, or does entitlement preclude all rational thought?!?

No he wasn’t.

/USA USA

3 Likes

Or Laura Bush…

5 Likes