U.S. fighter jet shoots down "high altitude object" off Alaska coast

Originally published at: U.S. fighter jet shoots down "high altitude object" off Alaska coast | Boing Boing

11 Likes

Do any congressional republicans possess the purity of doublethink to simultaneously condemn the weak, appeasing, delayed downing of the sinister sino-balloon and the reckless provocative warmongering of this new object within the same performative press conference or sycophantic interview?

31 Likes

a U.S. Air Force fighter jet shot down an object the “size of a small car” detected entering U.S. airspace over Alaska at 40,000 feet.

If only this was the object of my dreams…

tesla in space GIF by Product Hunt

45 Likes

Microplastics and forever chemicals everywhere down here, space junk everywhere up there.

We’re such a slobby species.

Dragula GIF by BouletBrothersDragula

32 Likes

Great, now we’ve pissed off ET. Sigh.

black and white ufos GIF

21 Likes

Cleaning up is somebody else’s job.

Sarcastic Sarcasm GIF by 43 Clicks North

21 Likes

46 Likes

harry potter fly GIF

27 Likes

Hot Fuzz Shame GIF

26 Likes

20 Likes

So if it wasn’t manned and it wasn’t a balloon, then it was a drone - a high-altitude drone. Which is very strange, really. Who’s screwing around with high-altitude drones, and sending them into other countries?

23 Likes

I assume you mean other than the US.

Also the Global Hawk is quite a bit larger than the “size of a small car”.

22 Likes

If its in Alaska a good bet is Russia

15 Likes

If this is the way civilization ends, I’m going to be so annoyed…

18 Likes

to be fair, it’s not as if the different parts of our government always talk with each other, so it could have been one of our own.

also possible a us based company sent it up, or a flat earther gathering more evidence about how wrong they are.

14 Likes

Most likely China, trying to see how big of an object they can put into our borders and not get caught going forward. Their balloon getting caught means that trick likely will never work again.

7 Likes

It was a Russian kite.

14 Likes

A) How do they know it was unmanned? It didn’t take evasive maneuvers?
B) Probably China, maybe Russia. Possibly North Korea.
C) Seems like US defenses are being probed…then again, US defenses are always being probed. Why did we learn about this? That is the real question.

14 Likes

Indeed, other than the US. I was wondering if it were likely it started in US territory, flew out and then back again, but they only noticed it when it returned.

If this was an official flight by some other government, I have to wonder why, though - they were flying it in commercial airspace, so it became something that was right in the specific section of air that was being most heavily scrutinized and anything in that space had to be dealt with quickly. I wonder if it was either not a governmental craft and/or it was wildly off-course… the size of the craft seems like it could conceivably make it a commercial drone.

9 Likes

I’m really disappointed that news outlets aren’t taking this opportunity to highlight that the US shot down a UFO.

17 Likes