U.S. forbids Intel-China chip deal

[Permalink]

I wonder what kind of nuclear research done on a computer scares the Dept of Commerce this much.

1 Like

Especially given that they saw computer simulations as good enough to replace nuclear tests many, many generations of hardware ago - whatever China has today way outstrips whatever the US was running their simulations on in the 90s.

1 Like

Now the big question is: Will China just go home and forget about the whole supercomputing thing or will they make sure that they won’t have to ask anyone next time?

2 Likes

I’m surprised they haven’t. This is the first time I’ve seen the word “supercomputer” since the 90s.

One of the other key factors was that the US government had collected enough data from live nuclear tests that continuing with computer simulations was viable.

1 Like

Of course, I’m a little confused by this whole idea of Intel “shipping chips to China.” Do they mean from their plant in Dalian, Liaoning, to Beijing?

2 Likes

Nah, the Fab 68 site in Dalian can only produce 65 nm chips. The best they could do would be a
Xeon MP Tigerton. To get the good stuff, they need 22 or 14 nm chips like the Haswell-EX or Broadwell-DE.

Of course, they could ship from Ireland’s Fab 24 or Israel’s Fab 28 facilities.

1 Like

Now Gigabyte, MSI, will request some Xeon’s so they can ship motherboards with the CPU. Oops, the CPU fell off and was"Thown Out". China has too many reasons and methods of getting a hold of Intel’s CPU’s .

2 Likes

Fortunately, if TPP is ratified, China would then be able to sue the US for loss of potential profits.

2 Likes

Of course, other news mention that China can source other chips from ARM Holding, which is British-based. And there are more alternatives.

Or couple thousands of Chinese organizations or perhaps even individuals will buy a handful of CPUs each.

The US bureaucrats have no chance. They can be annoying but that’s about it. These wannabe dictators deserve to be cheated around and to know about it and to wake up every day feeling powerless and irrelevant.

Even some spaceports and satellite companies outside of the US control are having “ITAR-free” (google the phrase for more details) as their major selling point; less bureaucracy there. More power, and more business, to them.

The whole point of TPP is that it would be a big enough trading bloc to exclude China, and act as a counterweight towards China’s policies.

s/if/when/

US gov’t believes this will prevent the Chinese from acquiring these components because… magic?

1 Like

They would still need a U.S. License to do so even if nothing touches U.S. Soil. I work for a steel manufacturer in the U.K. and the same requirements apply :-//

Sounds like a time for a revolt.

The banking alternatives that are appearing in the BRICS and the weakening of the dollar hegemony are a step in the right direction, to allow those who want to opt out to actually be able to opt out without it being too hard.

It’s good to have options.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.