U.S. has most coronavirus cases in the world, 5 million and counting

5 million reported, what might that mean in real numbers?

6 Likes

May the Force be with you

3 Likes

I’ll add my wishes to those of the others for a speedy recovery.

Any idea how you were exposed to it, in the [snort] Greatest Country on Earth™?

10 Likes

The Sturgis bike rally alone should help put the U.S. over the top.

9 Likes

Brazil is not number 1 mainly because their testing capacity is even worse than ours.

5 Likes

May Fortuna smile on you and yours.

3 Likes

Is five million enough? Well, WDKFA. Rule of thumb, though, it’s got a 1% death rate so multiply the deaths by 100. But these are underreported, so multiply that by the level of underreporting. Which, sticking my finger in my special magic pocket, is definitely and undeniably 2. So, thirty million cases. Probably. But not five.

5 Likes

6 Likes

Good luck, and speedy recovery!

6 Likes

Well hell! Let’s hope it’s a very, very mild case.

7 Likes

#8 with a bullet. Although Brazil may pass us up if we don’t pick up the pace! U…S…A! :disappointed:

5 Likes

Oh, man! That sucks! Hoping for a speedy and complete recovery for you.

4 Likes

Mr. Gates argues there that many (most?) test results are being delayed so their effectiveness is reduced.

8 Likes

My reading of that was that he didn’t quite call out the fact that the US tests are done for profit rather than public health.

He nearly got there, but Biilg can’t criticise capitalism even when it’s staring him in the face while pickpocketing the public purse.

5 Likes

Anyone know which 7 states are trending up? They only named 3 of the 7 in the article.

I noticed today that I’m no longer able to drill down on the data for Florida to get the county breakdown here: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/florida/

Same with a few other states, I’m curious about how those two things might be related or if I’m extra suspicious this morning.

4 Likes

I’ve got everything crossed for you. I hope it is the mildest of mild forms.

3 Likes

i have it narrowed down to a couple places – the most likely is the grocery store. i probably touched something and then touched my eye, that’s my guess, because we were always masked when out in public.

8 Likes

It really is crazy how ridiculously badly the US has handled the pandemic, especially early on when it was much more feasible to get a handle on it.

Public health experts have warned that the actual number of people infected is far greater.

I would like to point out that calling this a warning is extremely odd. It’s exceedingly unlikely that our deaths statistics are anywhere near as skewed as the case statistics (hard to miss a million dead) so the truer the above quote is, the lower the virus’ real death rate, the higher the asymptomatic rate, and the closer we are to herd immunity (assuming herd immunity is actually possible with this disease). If we all woke up tomorrow and saw a headline that said “Hey, we undercounted cases so much, it turns out 90% of Americans actually already had it,” that would be unbelievably, amazingly good news.

I agree the per capita measurement is what we should be looking at. But while not the worse, we are doing rather poorly.

1 Like

Sorry to hear, hope things stay on the uninteresting side.

4 Likes