U.S. has most coronavirus cases in the world, 5 million and counting

As a COVID-19 survivor, best of luck and glad to hear that your case is mild. My “mild” case wiped me out for almost 2 months. Hope you’re back on your feet soon, and with no lasting effects.

12 Likes

maybe, but i think he did a good job of showing how to use the profit motive to fix the tests.

reimburse for timely results, don’t reimburse for delayed results. i think he’s right that companies would then be inclined to care about getting turn around times down to where they matter.

[edit]

The 781,000 total deaths in the U.S. in the three months through May 30 were nearly 19% higher than what would normally be expected, the study said… The number of excess deaths from any causes were 28% higher than the official tally of U.S. Covid-19 deaths during those months.

and the article doesn’t mention that accidents are generally the third-ish largest cause of death in the us, and those deaths have been way down with so many people at home.

absolutely. unfortunately, that’s not going to be the case.

2 Likes

i’m curious what kind of masks you use. i think in theory only n95s really protect you. cloth masks are for protecting everyone else.

i work in a grocery story, and the store enforces masks – but the store doesn’t regulate the kind of mask. i see a lot of people wearing masks with vents, and it worries me.

i’m so sorry to hear you’ve gotten ill. i hope you/all have a quick and easy recovery.

4 Likes

home made cloth masks, the pleated kind. all masks help, though – i am pretty sure that i must have touched something, and then absently rubbed my eye or something.

so far, signs point to me being incredibly fortunate and getting only a mild case. i might even already be past the worst of it, despite just getting confirmation on friday. i have only had a fever for one day, and that was two weeks ago now. so far the worst thing for me is losing my sense of taste and smell. it’s really really frustrating, but all things considered, i’ll take it.

9 Likes

oh wow. so glad to hear you made it. yes, it appears i have been extremely fortunate. my mild case seems to have only had a loss of taste and smell as the worst part – and my sense of smell seems to be returning, a little more every day. i did have a fever (once) and a raging migraine (once), but other than that it’s been about 3-4 days of some noticeably labored breath, a thickness in the lungs i call it, and some rashes and hives. SUPER FORTUNATE so far. i don’t know why i have been, but here i am.

6 Likes

Most recent Duke study is that vented n95s are about on par with most cotton masks: reduces emissions to about 1/3 of “no mask”.

1 Like

Another day, and still no drill down / county level data on Florida cases :thinking:

Edit: never mind, it’s back!

1 Like
5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.