U.S. Navy to promote powerful admiral who illegally punished suspected whistleblowers

[Read the post]

It’s awfully hard to hire great people these days. Maybe despite his illegal actions, he’s still the best candidate?

That guy is a DICK! Period.

1 Like

Since the Navy declined, and plain-old federal charges be applied?

1 Like

Is this sarcasm, or do you really not see the utter contradiction in that sentence?

3 Likes

No sarcasm. I just have no idea who he was up against and what factors went into deciding who was the best candidate for the job. Was he the only candidate? Were there other, less qualified candidates?

High level positions are notoriously difficult (and often expensive) to fill.

1 Like

Okay, watch this:

Maybe despite his illegal actions,
he’s still the best candidate?

Does this cast the contradiction in a sharper light? Do I need to get out the blinky red text?

4 Likes

No, I understand what you are saying. I’m just saying that despite those accusations (AFAIK he hasn’t been charged yet), he may be the best person for the job.

Do you know anything about other candidates? Maybe there are no other candidates and so he gets the job by default? Maybe the #2 person was convicted of something else?

1 Like

Well it’s not as if the National Enquirer was his accuser.

The Defense Department’s inspector general investigated Losey five times and Pentagon investigators "determined that he illegally retaliated against staff members.

But he won’t be charged. That’s the whole point. It’s exactly like the cop who isn’t indicted despite overwhelming evidence.

Now it’s possible that he’s the Albert Einstein of naval logistics and the republic would be helpless without him. It’s also possible there’s an old-boy network in the Navy. I have to say, I’m disappointed I didn’t get to use the blinky red text.

6 Likes

Is it just me, or does that guy look a whole lot like Col. Flagg from MASH? That and the way he seems to have acted, I wonder if it is a case of life imitating art. I just want to imagine him going full SEAL infiltrating his own office to look for evidence, all while his underlings pretend they can’t see him hiding behind a fake plant that wasn’t there the day before. Acting like they don’t know who the “investigator” is who is interviewing them, and behaving like their boss is the greatest guy ever.
The fact that it was likely due to something really minor, like using a fuel card for his own car, or catching a navy flight for personal use, that could have been cleared up out in the open, makes it even more hilarious for me to imagine. Mostly because I can see it as a MASH ep, with Flagg getting in trouble for not filing a form with Radar, and Hawkeye and BJ have to come up with a scheme to protect him from the paranoid Col. More worryingly though, this kind of behavior does suggest he may not have all the nuts tight up top, paranoia and leadership is not a good combination.

2 Likes

They aren’t going to charge the guy if they don’t think they can convict. If it was a slam-dunk case, they would probably pursue it. The article quotes a Navy spokesperson saying “none of the allegations rose to the level of misconduct on Admiral Losey’s part”. That could be true, right?

I guess it all comes down to which part of the government you want to trust. I don’t have any particular reason to trust Pentagon investigators more than Navy bosses or even Losey himself.

Even if they did prosecute and find him guilty, he could still be the best person for the job. Effective people are sometimes also terrible people.

1 Like

Well mash did hit a few things on the head. …

Navy doesn’t actually promote anyone at this officer level. Obama and the Senate have final say. In theory we can make a big enough stink to stop it. I’m not going to absolve the President of his responsibility here by pretending that the Navy is solely responsible for this man’s progress in the ranks.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.