U.S. prosecutors demand to interview Prince Andrew over Epstein ties

Hmm I wonder what King Charles will say?

1 Like

One thing to consider is that this is a big fishing trip. They have no intent of even beginning to pursue any sort of prosecution, but want to interview him for information. Given this presidency, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was to gather info on Democrats, and conveniently not find anything on tRump or other Republicans.

I get that this administration doesn’t give a shit about maintaining foreign political relationships (except maybe with Papa Putin, and weirdly Lil Kim (Jong Un)), but to make this move about something that tRump clearly wouldn’t care about stinks to high heaven.

3 Likes

His diplomatic immunity only covers his diplomatic work (which he has been withdrawn from). He does not have sovereign immunity either.

1 Like
6 Likes

The same. I expect Andrew will only be handed over if not doing so becomes a threat to the monarchy.

I would like to be wrong about this.

4 Likes

Off topic, but this reminds me of Darby O’Gilll and the Little People. I have never seen a movie where literally everyone (save Sean Connery and his love interest) has really bad teeth. Actually, I can’t think of any movie where anyone has bad teeth. I wouldn’t be surprised if Disney has already tried to ‘fix’ this film.

2 Likes

Sorry, I don’t think that’s true. A friend of mine in college had diplomatic immunity and he was merely the son of a diplomat.

1 Like

Diplomatic immunity doesn’t only cover certain people while they are performing ‘diplomatic work’, it covers them all the time they are a guest in a foreign country. They are family members of the British Head of State.
I’m certain nobody in the royal family is subject to being searched and undergoing inspection in preboarding lines when they travel, and they certainly aren’t prosecuted for minor offences. Major offences would be considered for trial at the Prime Ministerial level in consultation with Buckingham Palace.

Nope. I’m not aware of any complaints about crimes committed in the UK being made and I am not aware of any UK-based investigation by the forces of law and order.

With the Andrew situation, the US wants to talk to him as a witness rather than suspect, and given his diplomatic immunity, were politely asking rather than demanding. United States attorneys have been lately waging something of a PR campaign to pressure him into cooperating by shaming him in the court of public opinion because that’s the only tool they’ve got. Only the British government can make him testify. (My understanding is that if he were actually facing criminal accusations, he’s totally immune even in the UK, as he’s a prince.)

But lawsuits by individuals face another hurdle as well - hashing out issues between countries has generally been the domain of national-level governments. Only in 1976 did the “Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act” codify in which limited situations a foreign state might be sued. (Only recently has the Supreme Court said it also covers some foreign government officials, but it still doesn’t cover foreign leaders.)

I think it’s one of those simpsons visual gags that has aged somewhat. I mean randy andy is of a generation from an age of dentistry torture that was barely a step up from the victorian era, whereas now the joke doesn’t really land because people actually go to the dentist. For the most part.

Yep. I also wouldn’t be surprised if he was ‘nudged’ into lying about Trump/GOP targets in exchange for being de-listed from the investigation.

Diplomatic immunity covers dependent minor children (and in some cases adult children mainly or normally living in the diplomat’s household). The extension of this immunity to other close family has been tested several times. Andrew is not covered by this (and his mother has sovereign immunity rather than diplomatic).

They are prosecuted, Anne was prosecuted for allowing her dog to bite 2 children.

There is an article here that goes through the various immunities that might be applied.

I would imagine that any administration seeking to extradite Andrew would think long and hard before making an application and face years of wrangling while lawyers make money. But he does not automatically have diplomatic immunity (and sovereign immunity only covers the head of state not their children), and even if he had it, and was credibly charged with a serious crime like child abuse, then the Government could waive that immunity (again unlikely).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.