U.S. sets record high COVID cases for 3 days in a row, nearly 69,000 new cases today

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/10/u-s-sets-record-high-covid-ca.html

2 Likes

Jeez, I get, and agree with, the humanitarian reasons behind freeing inmates in a pandemic. But releasing thousands of people infected by COVID-19 into situations where they will probably not have much control over their surroundings or necessarily lots of support for self-isolation… doesn’t that sound like a bit of a disaster for the general population in communities that are welcoming these inmates home?

6 Likes

I get what you’re saying, but you can’t hold people in Disney World indefinitely, it isn’t humane.

41 Likes

In Texas, the governor has threatened to cancel the Lick The Most Faces contest if people don’t start taking proper precautions.

15 Likes

Last 3 weeks haven’t exactly been great

From https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

11 Likes

So much of The Americas can’t be bothered to think about taking precautions to save the community. I hope this doesn’t drag on for years.

16 Likes

The much vaunted rugged individualism working out great for society as a whole again

18 Likes

Instead of despairing, I’ll just take the opportunity to once again recommend this book by the inimitable Charlie Pierce.

13 Likes

Since the number of anti-vaxxers has been increasing for decades, I’m not optimistic that this will end soon.

14 Likes

12 Likes

And it will bankrupt them more quickly than not being able to pay rent since they’re fired.

2 Likes

I don’t need to read a book to tell me.

1 Like

Record High! USA, USA, USA!

:worried:

3 Likes

And after two months of decline the death rate’s going up too! USA! etc.

3 Likes

Tell you what - when you DO get vaccinated, keep the receipt. The next job, partner or restaurant might need to see proof of it!

6 Likes

Gah, what’s next…a horrible mashup of Reality Bites and Gattaca?

5 Likes

Or an AIDS test if you’re old enough to have been dating back then…

2 Likes

The idea is to release them into a situation where they can effectively self-isolate BEFORE they get infected and/or spread the infection through the rest of the prison population.

2 Likes

Everything old is new again. :weary:

1 Like

Assuming those are confirmed cases, the real case number is several to many times higher - at this rate we’d reach herd immunity before we reach “years” :unamused: