UAE surveillance contractor is recruiting an army of foreign hackers to break into its citizens' devices

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/10/24/uae-surveillance-contractor-is.html

2 Likes

Well, we already knew we’re living in a Philip K Dick dystopia written by William Gibson.

Who do you suppose Daesh hires?

I’m just glad our own government would never ever do anything like this. /s

5 Likes

Hmm. So are they looking to control the well to do locals, or the mass of immigrants servicing them?

2 Likes

Both, most likely. The locals are outnumbered by immigrants. But, not all the locals are well-to-do, contrary to popular belief even within the country. There is definitely a lot of politics going on when it comes to keeping the right people happy, and the locals are only a small part of that. In more detail they’re probably looking to:

• Crack down on private assembly by people deemed “Islamists.”
  • Find and counter Iranian espionage.
  • Subvert a serious (but heavily suppressed in terms of public knowledge) organized crime problem.
  • Use it as an abortifacient for nascent labor movements.
  • Good old enforcement of federal laws. The UAE doesn’t have to pretend it respects your right to privacy. That’s not even on the books to a large extent.
3 Likes

Is it just me or does this guy looks like Mark Ruffalo… better not make him angry just in case.

2 Likes

He’s what my cattier friends would describe as “juicy”

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.