Uber assigns "its IP to Bermuda, leaving less than 2% of its revenue taxable by the US"

7 Likes

I love the way everyone praises these new tech entrepreneurs (in reality, their entrepreneurialism is more to do with the manipulation of legal fictions) as ‘disruptive’ before realising that no, they’re just dicks.

6 Likes

Don’t be an ass; both parties are to blame. Claiming otherwise is similar to the stories con artists tell themselves to feel better about what they do.

5 Likes

Yet I-- as just some random guy-- can’t open a personal bank account in Belgium, Holland, France, or England, because the banks there don’t want the hassles of dealing with the US Government. I guess my account balance doesn’t have enough digits. Go figure.

1 Like

Please do not engage with the douchebags. I know you mean well, but no one that works or has constraints in their life believes their “morality”, and tying up actual discussion space by answering their justifications for thievery addresses no real issue.

2 Likes

That’s depressing.

1 Like

Uber DISRUPTS the “drivers” to the point of a non livable wage, and now Uber wants to “offshore” to a tax haven to DISRUPT the USA. I see a pattern of DISRUPTION here.

#FTFY

2 Likes

accuse them of being unpatriotic, and/or un-American. It’s more visceral, and therefore likely to gain more traction.

The great task is associating those adjectives with not paying taxes.

2 Likes

It really isn’t that hard to understand. They are dumping their money into expanding as quickly as they physically can.

There are in fact incremental costs to running a business like this. There are background checks on drivers, customer service, legal costs, insurance costs. There are some fixed costs like translation to new languages. Some are somewhere in between like mapping to ensure the car stops where you actually are (address → GPS coordinates isn’t a solved problem nor is GPS accuracy).

The biggest sink hole though is likely their marketing campaigns for when they move into a new area. This includes things like charging riders below-cost for rides, advertising to get drivers, advertising to get riders, etc.

1 Like

Disruption breeds dickishness pretty well, I’ve noticed

That’s part of what they’re doing.

But, as this news demonstrates, what they’re also doing is dumping their money into offshore tax havens.

Do that, and Uber-US can stay zero-profit for as long as it likes: if the US company makes $50 squillion profit, the Panama holding company charges a $50 squillion licence fee for the use of the IP.

It’s legal because the rich wrote the laws. No other reason.

6 Likes

Somehow I missed the memo that “sharing economy” work was supposed to provide a middle class wage.

Aw, c’mon; there’s plenty of blame to go 'round.

Not that “blame” ever solves any problems or makes anything any better, mind you…

5 Likes

Because they’re paying a shedload of money to license their logo from some Fly by night Bermudan company that’s got them by the short and curlies.

2 Likes

Blame all the fuckwads, they’re in it together fucking with the rest of us, after all.

1 Like

The world of David Brin’s novel Earth takes place after the global populace has risen up against the ultra-elite, and literally gone to war against the tax havens.

It’s a great vision, anyway…

I think the problem is these are “Second Wave” Silicon valley entrepreneurs.

When Jobs talked about making a product “insanely great” or Page and Brin talked about Google’s “not being evil,” they were being sincere. Money wasn’t their primary motivation.

When Uber comes in, all they’re thinking about is the money: "Let's dominate and innovate the taxi/limousine industry and squeeze out every penny we can, in any way we can. Let's be evil."

3 Likes

ETA:

2 Likes

Geez, they send out memos like that?