Uber CEO snaps at driver complaining of pay rates, later vows to 'grow up,' get 'leadership help'

Seems I hit a nerve. I didn’t speak of “false flagging”. It’s just that flagging got used more liberally over time (seems like others noticed too, see above) and with a very literal interpretation of the community guidelines. We see a good example here.
“Christ, what an asshole.” is in a very literal interpretation an insult, flaggable as such but very obviously not meant as an insult except one wants to see it as one.

1 Like

This is entirely offtopic, so if this discussion continues I’m going to split it off into a dedicated topic.

Yes. I’m here because the mods deserve support. I’ve seen behind the curtain and I know how hard Falcor and the dragon minions work to keep order around here, including disagreeing with punitive flagging. Flagging is more prevalent because, thankfully, more people are participating in flagging. That doesn’t mean incorrect flags remain - the mods can revert them, as we did here. Your post implied that “regulars” are colluding to put restraint on speech here, and that’s simply not happening.

You walk a slippery slope when you claim to know the motives for flags. The flagger may well have been taking the guidelines literally. They flagged, it was overturned. That’s how it’s supposed to work and doesn’t suggest malice of any sort.

Thanks for commenting.

14 Likes

You’re not boycotting them? I am, these days. Not shaming you, just wondering why you still use what is obviously a service owned by shit company run by assholes.

That’s exactly how I signed up for Uber. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m flagging this.

3 Likes

Don’t make me flag your post as Off-Topic … because then I had to flag my own too.

1 Like

I’m not, because the alternatives are worse - the taxi companies here are spreading falsehoods as well trying to prevent change to their industry, it’s a matter of two bad options. That’s why I mentioned Lyft - if they come to Toronto I will change in a heartbeat. I’ve already decided to do so in places where I have the option to (disclaimer though, I know individuals that work in Lyft’s engineering team, so I’m slightly biased there).

2 Likes

Quite the apology from Kalanick. It sounds as if he’s directly pre-empting any inevitable ‘suggestions’ from the Board of Directors in order to cut them off, obviously by demonstrating dutiful self-appraisal and contriteness. The risk is that the BoD may see through the pretense and decide to ratchet up on what would otherwise have been their own original ‘fix’. Perhaps something a bit more substantial than a mea culpa.

1 Like

There are one or two scenarios where that observation would signal something… good.

Like the entire business model where the people working can never dig themselves out of the hole of having been maneuvered into assuming the company’s operating costs.

Here in South Korea’s ESL mines it’s becoming more common for employers to add clauses that put employees on the hook for operating costs should they decide to end the contract before the end of the customary one year. It doesn’t matter why you’re leaving. If you decide to do it by the book you’ll be doing unpaid labour until you get on that jet home.

They also add non-disclosure agreements about the contents of the contracts, especially telling people about the part where they push the costs of running the business on departing staff.

Yet people still think employee unions are the greater evil. I often think our reality in 2017 is something we deserve.

3 Likes

Aye, therein lies the rub, doesn’t it?

Is there a reason this statement doesn’t also apply to Lyft?

3 Likes

As far as I know, Lyft doesn’t partner with and profit from subprime lending for vehicles, nor encourage folks to mortgage their lives away to drive with them, and then change the rules. Lyft pretty much encourages us to us what we have – so long as it is 10 years old or less (I think that is the cut off), clean, and free of damage.

Who knows how they will be if they get to a certain level…but they aren’t there yet.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.