Uber driver accused of shooting and killing his passenger

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/01/uber-driver-accused-of-shootin.html

4 Likes

Move fast and break things! Disrupt!

Thankfully old school taxicabs still exist here in Toronto.

5 Likes

Using t he word murder at this early stage seems premature.

8 Likes

Yes. It irks me when people use the word inappropriately. When I first read it, I thought the driver somehow managed to arrange the pickup so that he could kill the passenger.

Good thing his second-amendment freedoms were not infringed. No waiting period on that trigger, is there?

2 Likes

Agreed, calling 911 is a strong indicator that the Uber driver was defending themselves.

4 Likes

Or wanted it to appear that way. If they didn’t call 911, it would make them look guilty. After all, there’s a digital record of where both driver and passenger were when the latter was killed.

But I agree this could go either way. Insufficient information to even guess.

I’m surprised ride-share companies don’t require drivers have cameras for filming the vehicle interior.

3 Likes

I blame Bible translations for this. Properly, the commandment should read something like: Thou shall not murder. Killing people, on the other hand, is fine and often ordered by God Himself.

1 Like

Posting this at all is premature. This happened just last night, the investigation just started, no one knows anything yet if it was murder or self-defense, but hey, Uber amiright. Sheesh.

1 Like

Yes, it’s not like there are any trigger-happy or unhinged taxi drivers, right?

1 Like

Cab drivers are vetted by the city and licenced. They have to pass a criminal background check. Uber’s drivers? Not so much.

Also, as anecdata, I have yet to meet a cab driver that was in any way less than fully professional, courteous, and competent. I have also never had a cab driver who was light skinned or born in Canada. Just spitballing here, but could the stereotype of horrible, unhinged cabbies perhaps stem more from racism than from actual facts?

ETA: as @Missy_Pants points out, my experiences with cab drivers are skewed by privilege and by my never needing one at night. Even if I wasn’t inclined to support local Canadian businesses over a criminal American techbro startup, I think I’d prefer the limited protection that Toronto’s vetting of their cabbies provides to Uber’s “we’re going to do as little as we can get away with to vet our drivers, after all, they aren’t our employees so we aren’t responsible for them” approach.

Wow can I come live in your Toronto?
Cuz my Toronto has its share or leecherous taxi drivers that angle mirrors trying to look up skirts, that ask point black “you do the sex?” and that have tried to drive to other locations with drunk female passengers in attempts I’m sure to “do the sex”.

Many of the above are my anecdotes or personal friends. We all have them. Working in bars and getting out after last call man, its like a whole other world.

The daytime guys I will give you, they’re all fine. All voted for Rob Ford tho. So there is that.

2 Likes

I don’t drink, so I don’t encounter the late night cabbies. As you say, another world. I have edited my post.

1 Like

Why are the courts involved? Get thee to an arbitration panel!

IMPORTANT: PLEASE REVIEW THE ARBITRATION AGREEMENT SET FORTH BELOW CAREFULLY, AS IT WILL REQUIRE YOU TO RESOLVE DISPUTES WITH UBER ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS THROUGH FINAL AND BINDING ARBITRATION. BY ENTERING THIS AGREEMENT, YOU EXPRESSLY ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ AND UNDERSTAND ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT AND HAVE TAKEN TIME TO CONSIDER THE CONSEQUENCES OF THIS IMPORTANT DECISION.

Are you lookin’ at me?

They still exist where I live too.

Alas, I honestly cannot say the same; but I will say that the disreputable taxi drivers I’ve encountered were from all over the demographic spectrum.

‘Rude Asshole’ comes in every shape, size and color; it doesn’t discriminate.

1 Like

(with all apologies to @anothernewbbaccount…)

1 Like

No apology needed - you were just a tad less lazy than me! :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.