Uber threatens to leave Seattle if drivers can unionize; drivers rejoice

So basically this guy is simply doing the Uber thing as it was first conceived: people with rides giving people with no rides rides. For a little cash.

3 Likes

Well Uber plans to be that company so…

2 Likes

The Essex County cabs serving Newark Airport are a gigantic scam. They cost twice what a local car service does and have a legal Monopoly on Airport business. All the New York City cabs dropping fares off there are legally prevented from taking fares back to Manhattan. What a waste of fuel if nothing else. I assume Uber drivers pick up their fares at the departures to get around this like my local car service.

1 Like

I don’t mean self driving cars.

3 Likes

I assumed they picked up at the departures so the police wouldn’t make them move along like they do at the lower arrival levels. Those guys are heartless.

Whoops, yes that’s what I meant. It’s all compounded by the fact that they don’t have any Cell Phone Lots.

1 Like

Yeah, I figured. I never see cops at the arrivals level telling everyone to move along like they do at departures though. I now make the wife pick me up there, it’s a ton easier.

1 Like

I think you flip flopped them this time.

2 Likes

At the Seattle airport all of the non-taxi ride services now have to pick up their fares from a specific location in the middle of a giant concrete parking structure that makes phone calls and using ride share apps very difficult. My last time at the airport there were signs to help people find this magical spot of concrete. The first time I experienced this there was no signage and I was super confused why my ride was in the middle of the parking structure and not curbside at arrivals.

3 Likes

Oh did they change this? I thought they only allowed specific taxi services in the taxi stand. I prefer to use a different taxi company so I’d go outside and try to snag an Eastside for Hire guy with Flywheel.

I’m not personally a fan of Uber, but for some reason it’s really hard to get a cab to pick up on the Eastside. Yeah, even the one that’s NAMED “Eastside”. Once I’m in Seattle I can get a cab home no problem, but when we’ve tried to get one into the city I can’t seem to ever find one.

Also, Uber Eats. That’s probably what we use the most.

1 Like

I did indeed. EWR is tricky!

LGA just started this, also because they’re tearing down all the terminals. It’s a real shitshow already.

4 Likes

I’m not sure what the taxi stand is. My understanding is that as of now only taxis can pull up to the arriving curb (if that is the taxi stand you mean). The location inside the parking lot is for everything that is not a taxi (Uber, Lyft, etc…). Ride services caught pulling up to the curb will get some sort of fine or ticket that must be big enough that none I have seen are risking it.

So a regular person that makes it to the arriving curb and calls a ride share. To get to their driver, they need to go back into the airport. Go up one floor. Cross the sky bridge to the parking structure. Go back down one floor. Then walk to the middle of that parking level to an area painted off and filled with grumpy people.

1 Like

The GOP is now in control and Uber is building up a war chest to help the GOP in their decision-making, so, personally speaking, I wouldn’t place any bets yet.

:wink:

With Nietzsche and Superman as prophets?

6 Likes

Yeah, 3rd floor parking garage used to be authorized taxi services only. I guess they swapped them.

1 Like

I was under the impression that federal law – the National Labor Relations Act --completely preempts the law of union organization and so the City of Seattle has fuck-all to say about whether Uber drivers can or cannot organize, and how. Seattle can ban ride share as a police power, but they don’t get to govern how unions come into being.

I;m hopeful because of the Austin story.

Hope springs eternal. Zero sarcasm.

1 Like

Why wait for Uber to leave to do this?

2 Likes