Ubisoft's gamer survey first asks if you're female, and terminates if you say "yes"

[Read the post]

4 Likes

I wonder if the survey has a unique key or not.

If not, itā€™d be fun to spam that survey with as many ā€œFemaleā€ entries as we can, to make a point about how many female fans they have.

11 Likes

I am unable to find the actual survey. The most recent Ubisoft survey I can find seems to be specifically for The Division?

I donā€™t think I know anyone at Ubisoft at the moment, or Iā€™d ask them ā€œwhat the hell??ā€

4 Likes

I feel like this will become another storm of apologists if this story spreads.

31 Likes

ā€œWith our WYSIWYG survey software, ANYONE can create a custom survey that can easily be filled out by your customers, giving you that much needed insight through data analysis.ā€

4 Likes

What was the actual survey about? They could have a legitimate reason to want males to answer. I canā€™t think of a good reason though.

6 Likes

the survey says something about a game in development, so maybe some kind of closed beta?

Even if that is true, just take all the survey data. You can easily cull the responses you donā€™t want and avoid bad PR.

Unless its like trying to find gamer penis sizes for a new VR sex gameā€¦ I guess that would be a legit exceptionā€¦

20 Likes

What are the questions if you answer ā€˜maleā€™? :thinking:

Maybe Ubisoft is out to profile and eradicate d-bros! :blush:

To be fair, the next question is:

Do you live in your parentsā€™ basement and spend most of your time eating cheetos and wanking it to questionable anime?

• Yes
  • No

Which also ends the survey if you select the wrong thing.

20 Likes

Games companies have got a lot of stick over the years for their failure
to understand, cater to, and appreciate their masses of female
customers, but itā€™s a rare thing for a companyā€™s commercial blind-spots
to be so vividly illustrated in two screens.

Stick doesnā€™t make sense, which suggests to me your voice recognition or word suggestion software is stuck in prude mode.

Free the shit!

2 Likes

Males donā€™t have to be your only audience ubisoft.

6 Likes

Stick is a UK term for complaint, disfavour, annoyance, disagreement, unfavourable talk back, etc.

10 Likes

Nah, thatā€™s just Cory using his wacky Brit slang:

stick
Picking on, bullying, being mean.
ā€œI like your hair today!ā€
ā€œMe too, but Iā€™ve got alot of STICK for it though.ā€

EDIT - jeffv beat me to it! I hope nobody gives me stick for being late.

9 Likes

Itā€™s the only demo they give a shit about, ā€œlegitimateā€ enough for their needsā€¦

1 Like

Par for the course for the company that ruined Heroes of Might and Magic

1 Like

Interesting that whomever set up that survey has it terminate upon revealing your gender. Even if youā€™re looking to target a specific audience getting input from outside your desired target is still valuable, could be sex, age, economic background, etc.
The knee-jerk reaction to this would be outrage, but i think embarrassing Ubi over this short sighted, poorly thought out survey is enough for them to use this as a learning experience. At least i would hope soā€¦ seems more constructive than outrage.

2 Likes

To be fair, you can do all of that and not be a misogynist, contrary to the RedPillers who believe otherwise.

Iā€™m at ubisoft at the moment and, yeah, What the hell?

I donā€™t know what game this is for, nor why itā€™s filtering on gender. Iā€™d like to think itā€™s an unintentional fuckup, but donā€™t have any actual information.

9 Likes

Yeah, hi, that was my post. You might know me as a sometime infrequent contributor on the first incarnation of Boing Boingā€™s offworld.

The survey is for a (I think) unannounced mobile game and I didnā€™t want to bring any undue attention to the game as this survey is most definitely not from the developers themselves. My wife is on an early play test / beta list for UBISoft Toronto which is why that survey is likely not very public. I can provide the link to someone (hi Corey, friend of Torrez) if you question the validity.

It was more of an ā€œman thatā€™s stupidā€ kind of post, after my wifeā€™s input felt rejected, and I didnā€™t expect it to explode like that.

8 Likes