Ubisoft's gamer survey first asks if you're female, and terminates if you say "yes"

I’ve taken dozens of surveys and been rejected because of gender, age, SES, etc. Maybe a more tactful message. Maybe there’s a blast for females later with slightly different question. Ubi does a lot of things wrong but in my line of work I see a lot of surveys and this is practically survey industry standard.

3 Likes

It also errors out if you’re male but over 50.

2 Likes

Yep. I’d expect that they’d have very different questions for an under-represented market vs. an established one. My guess is that the survey isn’t smart enough to vary the questions based on the first answers, so they’ve got to do parallel surveys. Pure speculation, though.

1 Like

So that way they think they have a lot of female video game fans, cater to that audience, sales of any games that attempt to grow the female demographic tank, and then they don’t continue to try to grow that demographic.

Do you want companies making games that don’t cater to the adolescent male psyche, or no?

2 Likes

Your scenario seems to be based on the assumption that developing games that cater to female video game fans would result in those games tanking. Do you have any evidence to support that assumption?

6 Likes

To be fair, 100,000 of those hits are complaints about not getting surveyed.

7 Likes

I’m always surprised that surveys don’t just waste your time and dump your response quietly at the end.

1 Like

It was apparently a bug with their survey and they have since fixed it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Bonus points for them conflating gender with sex designations!

6 Likes

13 Likes

Any idea how this “bug” happened or how it was fixed? Is there a public statement of some kind to that effect?

4 Likes

I am still betting user error setting it up. But hey, who knows. At least it is fixed.

1 Like

Maybe they just had so many female respondents that they had to modify the survey to get a balanced demographic? Yeah. I’m sure that’s it.

4 Likes

Gee, how could this post possibly go awry?

/s

6 Likes

[quote=“TooGoodToCheck_, post:19, topic:80971”]I’d like to think it’s an unintentional fuckup, but don’t have any actual information.[/quote]Musn’t ever let things like that get in the way of a proper pile-on, oh no.

2 Likes

Well, that’s the thing. The point of surveys is supposedly to collect real data. But surveys which are poorly framed serve only to confirm biases.

4 Likes

Except that there are men without penises, and women with them. So the only question that could truly filter for the ‘appropriate’ profile, would be “Do you have a penis? Yes/No”

3 Likes
16 Likes

I wouldn’t put any shady misogynist thing past ANYTHING associated with the videogame industry.

That said, if they’re saying this was an accident, I believe them. People were voluntarily agreeing to waste their time on a survey–there was no reason to boot them out for being the wrong sex when you could just as easily ignore the responses from people of the wrong sex.

2 Likes

I’ve also been rejected because of my Sega Entertainment System. So sad.

9 Likes