UCLA plans a garden for tripping during psychedelic medicine studies

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/18/ucla-plans-a-garden-for-tripping-during-psychedelic-medicine-studies.html

4 Likes

Contributed by Allan Rose Hill

Hmmmm… Maybe it should be on the ground? :grimacing:

13 Likes

I guess you could fence it in, and avoid people from outside wandering in this way?

A garden seems as good a place to be tripping balls as any (assuming they have anti-jumping measures in place on that rooftop)

8 Likes

Does anyone else feel a Chekov’s Gun situation coming here?

3 Likes

A natural environment really does make a difference. Come to think of it, given the local geography, my experiences back in the day often took place in some dangerously craggy settings. Never any accidents though- i think in that state of mind one tends to be preoccupied/satisfied with what’s close at hand, never being inclined to go seeking trouble. YMMV!

1 Like

Contrasted with the inside of a house, with all its electricity, hot water, sharp objects, and damn mechanical door handles!

2 Likes

Or the stairs, or even trying to get from one side of the kitchen to the other when my nesting partner has gone into the living room to turn out a light.

One night as I was floating on a particularly good gummy, she left me alone in the kitchen for 30 seconds while I was going over to the pantry shelves to get a lozenge for the accompanying dry mouth. Our kitchen is not exactly huge and there are limited pathing options, but of course I still managed to get lost and stuck in the corner. Luckily after a few hours (e.g., about 30 seconds) she came back to rescue me!

This was all well and good until I went over to her and realized that I was going to have to try going up the stairs. She patiently guided me up, although I kept forgetting what I was doing. I do recall her suggesting that perhaps a smaller dose of that particular edible would be in order the next time and I acknowledged that I had already been thinking the same thing.

4 Likes

I once went upstairs to get the cigarettes and got trapped on an abandoned sailing ship some damn fool had left where the attic bedroom should be. Always stick with your buddy.

4 Likes

My partner has noted that I do seem to have difficulty with object permanence when I’m high. :laughing: I find it interesting because I know what’s happening (“I’m experiencing time dilation”) and can observe it while simultaneously feeling the effects. I know for a fact while it’s happening that I did not spend 30 minutes standing there brushing my teeth because my electric toothbrush has a 2-minute timer, but it sure feels like it!

Apparently I still retain a lot of my analytical tendencies even in that situation.

5 Likes

6 Likes

I mean, not a lot of people leap into the octagon garden on the roof from the top, but the docents say they don’t want to exclude that.

Isn’t UCLA Plans a Garden kind of an epic thing though? I remember -Stanford- plans a garden and that did not roll in one piece. Just block out random months for the dedication to the Freaking Artichokes I Guess Indians right now. Like also maybe, if people like it in 5 years, that’s how replanting Santa Ana scorched anything is gonna go exactly like that plat, 1/3 fermenting rainforest vine, 1/3 sativa, 1/3 the other one, 8 Opteran plants, flood-refilling cisternage underneath, plus the misting tent and shroom grotto in the middle, and elevated enclosed runs off that for hypnotoads to scamper along in. Klaxon for escaped hypnotoads and harpsichord, anyone?

eta: First structured photovoltaic panels to also do in-panel speakers, or save that for the sober musician’s subsonic microtonal lab on the next roof?

8 Likes

adventure-time-finn-happy

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.