UK Apostrophe Protection Society surrender's, saying "ignorance and lazines's have won"

1000% yes.

It’s not ignorance if a language naturally evolves. If anything gradual change in language is kind of inherent to its existence and relevance, sure i do like proper grammar and punctuation but at some point a person has to realize how people are actually using language vs how they want it to be

4 Likes

I can see one giving this fight up as its alot of people you have to convince.

Still, I could care less.

6 Likes

If only one punctuation handbook can be saved for the ‘Idiocracies’ to come, I suggest that it be this; entertaining, beautifully written, and well worth a read for “the Innocent, the Eager; and the Doomed”.

5 Likes

'Superlative craftman’ship, Cory

4 Likes

Its an apostrophe catastophe

8 Likes

It’s how I was taught to do it at school.

4 Likes

Arguably, that is the “missing letter(s)” case. 'round here that 'tis.

Who need a P.O.S. trophy anyway?

(it’s me, I need it)

2 Likes

Wait… your father covertly painted out apostrophes on signs at night or you did?

6 Likes

That article, it hurts so much. :grimacing:

6 Likes

My dad did. They put up street signs in our neighborhood with misplaced apostrophes and he painted them out as best he could.

Time to pick up the mantle of The Apostrophe Avenger.

13 Likes

I so wish he’d done that wearing a costume and mask…

12 Likes

We will just have to take the fight underground, like in my father,s father,s day!

Excellent point. I would be happy to sell you my Stags’ Leap 2005 Cabernet Sauvignon for the price of a Stag’s Leap 2005 Cabernet Sauvignon

6 Likes

a’------'lot

:wink:

6 Likes

The bird’s what?

“Hundred million…” Devin repeated, not loudly enough for Premjith to hear him. “I’ll bet within five years of T’Rain going live, we’ll have more K’Shetriae than there are Kshatriya.”

“Now, that is—if memory serves—spelt with an apostrophe between an uppercase K and an uppercase S, is it not?” Don Donald asked. “That’s right,” said Devin, and glanced at Geraldine, who nodded. “Now the apostrophe is used to mark an elision.” “A missing letter,” Pluto translated. “Like the o in ‘couldn’t.’ ” He snorted. “The second o, that is!” “Yes, just so,” the Don continued. “Which leads me to ask why the S in ‘K’Shetriae’ is capitalized. Should one infer from this that ‘Shetriae’ is a separate word that is a proper noun? And if so, what are we to make of the K-apostrophe? Is it, for example, some sort of article?” “Sure, why not,” said Devin. D-squared, having set the hook, was content with a few moments’ discreet silence, but Pluto erupted: “Why not? Why not?” Richard could only watch, like staring across a valley at an avalanche overtaking a skier. “If it is an article,” said Don Donald, “then what is the T-apostrophe in T’Rain? What is the D-apostrophe in D’uinn? How many articles does this language have?”

Stephenson, Neal. Reamde: A Novel (p. 65). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition.

1 Like

Me too @stephen_schenck?

Cory, that was painful. “Show me in the article where the errant apostrophes hurt your brain."

2 Likes