UK Apostrophe Protection Society surrender's, saying "ignorance and lazines's have won"

You can take my trailing apostrophe on s-terminated singular nouns when you pry it from Jesus’ cold dead hands.

9 Likes

I can’t even begin to wrap my head around the logic by which you wouldn’t end the possessive of Jesus with 's.

I mean, that’s how you pronounce it: with an extra ‘iz’ syllable.

I think, in my case, it comes from being forced to sing hymns in school. The extra ‘s’ sound was dropped from Mr. bin-Yusuf’s name to make it fit the meter and it stuck ever since.

3 Likes

I think this discussion has reached apostrophic proportions.

14 Likes

Man, it’s always the musicians trying to subvert the establisment.

1 Like

This whole thing could have been worse: he could have become radicalized

2 Likes

A post-apostrophe apocalypse.

1 Like

Ahem:

I can see one giving up on this fight as it’s a lot of people one would have to convince.

Still, I couldn’t care less.

I know, I’m a grammar dick…

4 Likes

That’s the second-best dick; no worries.

6 Likes

There’s always got to be a straight man in every comedy skit.

3 Likes

tumblr_pmsrqjI5Dn1qg2n7mo1_540

18 Likes

Birds have no legal right to property, so the possessive form is always inappropriate.

1 Like

That was adorable. Now I can not un-see the alot creature. For the record, I notice the “alot” mistake a lot because I make it myself so often. Cheers.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s called “not actually a part of hell.”

2 Likes

I was hoping for the alot beast to show up.

3 Likes

That was the first I had seen that cute little beast. I bet there is merch. I shouldn’t look. I don’t need more stuff. But I want to look. But I shouldn’t.

For the record I don’t get mad at other’s mistakes as most often it’s me making the mistake here and appreciate the polite corrections and PM’s I get.

3 Likes

The correct genitive for Jesus is “Jesus’”. The same is true for ancient names ending in “-es”, or “-is”, but it’s preferable to circumlocute: “the plays of Euripides”, “the temple of Isis”, “the laws of Moses”, “the tomb of Ramses”, rather than “Euripides’ plays” et cetera.

And if Euripides, Eumenides!

8 Likes

The beak which is affixed to the front of the head that sits on the neck of the body that also has wings and claws…I’ll take “bird’s beak” over that mouthful any day.

2 Likes

You are, of course, correct.

3 Likes

beak of bird.

We don’t really need a possessive form, especially with the option for a genitive case like above. And some languages still don’t have anything quite like the possessive form in English. (alt. English’s possessive form)

I think the less time we spend studying and practicing English grammar, the more we will require a correction in what is considered proper and modern English. I expect a simplification in English to occur in the near future, I’m hoping it is formally adopted rather than an evolution of fits and starts. I won’t hold my breath that it happens in my lifetime though.