UK Chancellor: I must cut tax benefits for working poor to help them

7 Likes

Now if only we could get farm animals to line up for slaughter as calmly and assuredly as tory voters.

ā€œItā€™s for the best, Iā€™m sure.ā€

1 Like

15 Likes

Iā€™m just about to watch that!

Witch!

3 Likes

Personally, Iā€™d like to torture them with a red hot poker. ā€˜Come on Gove, your turn again. Itā€™s time for your eyes nowā€¦ā€™.

3 Likes

Jeremy Hunt agrees with him, apparently tax credit cuts make Birtons work like Chinese or Americans1 for which he naturally offers no evidence, then again if I was a journalist everytime Iā€™d interview Hunt Iā€™d ask him if allowing someone who belives in homeopathy any where near the levers of power deomstrates a failure of democracy or education?

4 Likes

I sense some hostility in you.

3 Likes

Heā€™s thought this all the way through. Itā€™s just that weā€™re too pansy to accept the truth.

The next step is to fire them all. Then they can be expatriated, for example to Syria. Thereā€™s plenty of free living space there, or rubble with which to build stuff, itā€™s nice and sunny (not like back home), and as for the ā€œexcitementā€ - well, that could be televised so that the layabouts could finance paying back at least part of what the state has, in its misguided benevolence, wasted on them.

But definitely fire them. Fire them all.

Dreams of revanchist brutality are all that gets me through the day anymore.

3 Likes

At some point this has to end in violence. Not sure whether to hope IĀ“m still alive or already gone when the guillotines come out, but IĀ“m leaning towards the first option.

2 Likes

Why bother with hot pokers, when molten gold is both reusable and hilariously ironic?

4 Likes

So long as thereā€™s eye-pokinā€™ first, you can pour gold down 'em when Iā€™m finished. Deal?

1 Like

We have a terrible tendency to forget that it took violence and the threat of violent revolution to get workersā€™ rights, womenā€™s votes, sick leave, holidays, and social democracy. Did they allow us these things because they were morally right? Did they fuck. They did it in quaking fear of being strung up and having everything taken off them.

Skulls were cracked and blood ran on the streets to secure these rights. We have been busy letting them go without a whimper amidst all the propaganda I grew up with about how the unions were the cause of every ill on earth.

9 Likes

The same folks who vote Republican on this side of the pond.

2 Likes

Apparently a Chinese businessman has pointed out that Chinese labour is actually very inefficient and nonproductive (due to lack of automation among other things), so the British working like Chinese would impoverish the country.
The way to get the British as productive as Germans or Americans would be for the City to invest in UK manufacturing and services, thus increasing output per person. A work smart with automation culture is far more productive than a long hours manual work culture.

5 Likes

And thatā€™s just the short-term return. The Perry Preschool project and other longitudinal studies have found that quality early child care leads to lower incarceration rates* and higher employment rates. Interestingly, academic advantage fades after a few years back in the shitty public schools where these kids (in poor districts) are trapped, but the social/emotional benefits remain through adulthood. Putting money into high quality early childhood care and education is, hands-down, one of the best investments we could be making. [James Heckman breaks it down pretty nicely.][1]

*only counts as a money-saver if youā€™re not taking bribes from private prison ownersā€¦
[1]: Invest in Early Childhood Development: Reduce Deficits, Strengthen the Economy - The Heckman Equation

6 Likes

Might I respectfully disagree? Irrespective of the metaphor, Paul Krugmanā€™s blithe assertion that countries can just print money to alleviate pressure on the poor is the height of folly. The ā€œfiscal violenceā€ inflicted on the poor from runaway inflation is the worst kind. History is rife with examples. Wiemar Germany tried it and we know how that ended. Right now, Venezuela is learning how that works. The rich can escape it. The poor find the shelves are bare and riot. Ex-Brazilian President Lula understood the issue and made sound money a centerpiece of his policy to raise living standards there. It worked (His successor is backsliding, alas).

Save Iain Duncan Smith for me

1 Like

5 Likes

He is to be disemboweled with a crude knife fashioned from the remains of Cameronā€™s femur.