UK cinemas ban Google Glass from screenings

Are camrips even still a thing? I remember how exciting it was when that guy I knew had spent ages downloading a two-CD copy of The Phantom Menace via stone age DSL before it was in the theaters in Europe. But then came the 21st century and most people decided that the quality was usually so bad that not watching them looked pretty good in comparison.

They are. Someone I know bought(!) a couple of laughably bad cams of films while on holiday in Bali. Complete with silhouettes of heads on the bottom of the screen, focus being adjusted halfway through the movie and even the occasional cough. V4A5, as they apparantly say.

1 Like

I am impressed.

We can be upset about a lot of thing, but this is not one of them. Put away your fucking Glass when you enter a cinema.

When some actual people need Google Glass for their actual disabilities, you can concern troll to your heartā€™s content. Until then, wearing a Glass in a cinema is as bad as using your cellphone. Watch the damn movie.

For all the hypothetical people who have Glass integrated in their glasses ā€“ you should have another pair of glasses. Weā€™re not yet in a brave new world where itā€™s always acceptable for everyone to be cyborgs. If you have Glass on your one pair of glasses, you are saying that there is literally no social situation where itā€™s rude to be wearing Glass, and you donā€™t give a damn about social norms.

4 Likes

Looking through inactive Glass is the same for me as having an inactive cellphone in my pocket. Is there any difference for you?

Assistive tech of the AR kind is going to be a must-have for many. The social norms are made by the plebes who typically donā€™t understand their side effects. And they have to be challenged in order to be changed. Sometimes you have to sit in the front of the bus.

So you keep saying. Letā€™s wait for it to happen, though, before we get all up in arms in concern over the poor techno-pioneers whose freedoms weā€™re trampling.

Eventually, Glass may be on everyoneā€™s face all the time. Until then, there are times and places where itā€™s rude.

Just because itā€™s ok now for everyone at a restaurant to pull out their cellphones, put them on the table, and glance at them all evening long, doesnā€™t mean it wasnā€™t rude ten years ago.

What the plebes call ā€œrudeā€ is often alternatively known as ā€œbeing on callā€. I did my share as the only company technician for couple years. I still hate printers.

I hope Glass dies a slow death and is replaced with real AR of e.g. the CastAR kind. That tech has much higher usability than a mere screen-in-a-field-of-vision.

I also expect another field of contention to appear: the supermarkets. A memory-assistive device that helps people remember the pricing history of items, and allows sharing their knowledge of prices over time and multiple shops, is a tool that will help to hold the shops accountable, to see when they are BSing with discounts, and to see what stuff they mark up to make up for the loss leaders. This can be coupled with databases of things, e.g. their composition or user reviews, so you know that something is widely considered crappy just by looking at its UPC/EAN barcode, or contains whatever you are allergic to without having to decipher a millimeter-tall lettering. Or that the ā€œdiscountedā€ item is cheaper at full price in a next-street shop. Or that the device youā€™re looking at has schematics for download on the Net, leaked out of the manufacturer, and therefore is a preferable choice to an otherwise equivalent piece of different-brand Chinese crapola on the next shelf.

Some vendors have benefited from information asymmetry between them and the buyers. Now we are about to have the tech to roll it back at least somewhat.

You could have a pair of glasses that are not integrated with google glass, maybe?

And why bother with two pairs when one is enough?

I love that on a site where hacking anything and everything is lauded every day, the manufacturerā€™s specs are being used as a defense, as though no one will ever figure out how to disable the recording light or extend the battery. Donā€™t mind meā€“Iā€™m just sitting here with a camera pointed at the screen. Iā€™m not using it though! Donā€™t oppress me by making me put it away!

Why integrate google glass into your prescription glasses in the first place when normal glasses are enough?

And lots of people have multiple pairs of glasses - prescription sunglasses, for example. And, in many cases, you can get normal glasses pretty cheap if you go through on line vendor (usually under a $100), though I donā€™t know if they have them for all prescriptions, but I bet they have them for mostā€¦ though Iā€™d suspect if you can afford google glass, you can afford the store price for a pair of glassesā€¦ Just a guess, though.

Ummmā€¦ because the normal glasses somewhat lack certain functionalities?

Itā€™s not about the cost. It is about the overhead of carrying multiple pairs, when a single one currently on your nose is just enough.

It is an option and they arenā€™t turned away. Bundling your camera-computer with aids the disabled person can legally have is idiotic. Your argument is that the technology is protected because of the bundle. That is bullshit. If they canā€™t be separated, then disable the technology (and nail polish will do the trick). What are you going to argue next? Should students be allowed to take college tests while wearing Google Glass as long as the prescription glasses are integrated? Should you be allowed to wear Google Glass into a locker room for the same reason?

1 Like

You can achieve exactly the same using off-the-shelf spy cams. If you want to see an older model that I took apart, check out here; I played with the tech a bit. For a tiny fraction of cost of the Glass. You can achieve the same with a cellphone, positioned in a pocket the right way.

However, cam rips are out of popularity these days as the quality sucks. So the theoretical capability of making one is somewhat irrelevant in the days of DVD-quality prescreener leaks.

Any other argument, please?

Well, I thought they were to help you see, and mine seem to be doing fine in that regardā€¦ I can read these here words on this page no problemā€¦ I can get through a book when I have mine on.

Leave the google glass at home when you are going to a movie so you donā€™t have to carry multiple pairs, maybe? Iā€™m really not seeing the problem here. Things may change in a few years in regards to google glass and their ubiquity, but this is where they are now. Youā€™re just going to have to accept it. You can certainly lobby the chains to change their policies, but thatā€™s it really.

And please note that I find going to a first run film in a chain theater to be a pain in the ass personally. The 20 minutes of commercials before you even get to previews annoy me, and many of the theaters are too concerned with ā€œpiratingā€ etc. And I actually agree that pirating with google glass would be a stupid ideaā€¦ But seriously, do you always need $1500 worth of tech on your face at all times? Will you forget so easily that youā€™re superior to the rest of us plebes when they arenā€™t on your face? Because I canā€™t understand how people actually think they are being discriminated against because they have $1500 piece of tech on their face.

Yes, yes, and yes. In the real world, they will have access to all the books and cheatsheets and information they please. Just change the tests so the tests test the actual understanding of the problematics instead of the memorizing of the facts. Throw a problem at the student, give him lots and lots of books and other data, watch him cope. In the age of computers, turning people into walking databases is bullshit; leading them to effective usage of the tools instead of denying them, including (and perhaps especially) at the exams, is the right way.

1 Like

Itā€™s going to be $150 piece of tech at most. The parts are cheap, the only cause of the high price is that it is a new tech. I wouldnā€™t be surprised if in 10 years we can get the thing for $15 in inflation-adjusted currency.

And whatā€™s wrong on having a wearable display all the time?

Good question! Iā€™ve only seen one google glass at my universityā€¦ I was wondering about that in the classroom. I doubt itā€™s going to be a big problem at my school, but I can imagine the more elite schools in the area having to figure this out.

Well, the fact is, it isnā€™t right now and it will probably be at least a little bit of time before it is. It is a piece of equipment that you donā€™t need and that only a few people have. The price might come down, but only if it catches on. Whether it will or not, I donā€™t know. At this point there seems to be a fair amount of tension and animosity around them. I can see that killing the whole thing, frankly.

Nothing I guess if thatā€™s how you feel the need to live your life. I just donā€™t see the need to be connected at all times. Sometimes itā€™s nice to put my phone away and concentrate on the here and now. I donā€™t think there is anything wrong with that and probably lots of things right with it.

I also think you are glossing over and ignoring some of the issues we have in our society with connectedness through technology. I think that the defensiveness that some google glass wearers (who at this point are all people who have what amounts to more than a months salary for many people on their faces) have displayed during this roll out for the product has shown a certain level of entitlement and a lack of empathy for people who might feel uncomfortable with them, for whatever reasonā€“rational or irrational.

Bullshit. For tests where that is valid, you are given the appropriate references. You arenā€™t required to regurgitate facts (and Iā€™m talking from a physical sciences standpoint). The difficulty of a physics or math test isnā€™t facts but methods. And being able to look up old problem sets to see how problems are solved is what you are being tested on. Giving that away defeats the entire purpose of the test.

1 Like