UK comedy legend Blackadder to return for long-awaited fifth season

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/01/uk-comedy-legend-blackadder-to.html

13 Likes

Oh! My! God!

Please let this be true.

And please let it be in the vein of Veep or something similar.

8 Likes

I have mixed feelings. I really want to see new episodes, but the last episode ended so well that I like it as the end of the series.

20 Likes

WhooHooo!!!

5 Likes

Needs a Bill and Ted crossover, but excellent!

3 Likes

I’m glad they didn’t make the rumored “washed up rock band” concept that was always knocking around. It was so obviously bad that I can’t help but wonder if a particular star’s interest in it was part of the long delay, because no one else wanted to.

The perfect Blackadder will be a whole season of Star Adder, the future space pirate who has has appeared in two or three generational flashforward scenes.

29 Likes

I didn’t rate the specials all that much, and

‘If we ever did anything again, it should be Blackadder as a teacher in a university, about how much we hate young people’."

sounds like a fresh vision of hell, but we’ll see how this turns out.

4 Likes

Blackadder V turning out to be a numbing, mirthless wall of tired jokes about woke college millennials, queers, blacks and feminists would be the perfect ending to it, a nation’s misery leaking into the basement like nuclear waste under Chernobyl.

18 Likes

This is good news though any new show will sadly be missing an important potential guest character.

39 Likes

I recall laughing at it as a kid, but rewatching these makes me wonder why anyone cared. They’re not funny for the most part. The humor is so dry it makes me itch. The timing is bad. They’re awful.

2 Likes

Wrong!

41 Likes

You’re entitled to your erroneous opinion.

27 Likes

We all miss that bastard, maybe they can fit in some tribute. Not too tasteful mind, something in his style.

13 Likes

Came here to say the same, but there has to be a great character actor alive today who could fit the bill. I know he’s USian, but off the top of my head, I’m thinking Sam Rockwell?
Or maybe the Irishman, Dylan Moran?

ETA: It also makes me sad that there will never be a spin-off show, The Old Ones.

8 Likes

Sigh… perhaps some of it worked. I maintain that the fourth season mostly fell flat on its face.

3 Likes

“Let’s dooooooooooooo IT!!!”

1 Like

Any word on Baldrick/Sir Tony?

4 Likes

That could work but there’s another british comedian called Greg Davies who could play a decendant of Flashheart. Rick Mayall once played his dad as they look alike. Greg Davies is a much taller man though so his stature could be put to comedic effect. Maybe they could write him as someone trying to live up to his ancestor’s reputation but without much success.

8 Likes

Good casting.

I know who you mean, and I think he’s played academics before, hasn’t he?

4 Likes

Mixed feelings on this…

It has the potential to be a cunning plan…

8 Likes